Long time Mint user with lots of questions

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by ClarenceBoddicker, Jun 8, 2014.

1. ClarenceBoddicker

ClarenceBoddicker New Member

I've been using Mint for like 5 years. I'm not very good with computers & have always had some issues with linux. A buddy installed it on my laptop that came with Vista. I couldn't handle going from 2000 or XP (can't remember which) to Vista. I'm not a fan of Mac & like the idea of not using any Windows products. as long as everything works.

2. Murp

Murp New Member

Haha, aside from the Mint use, you sound just like me. Used XP, don't care for Mac, don't wanna support Microsoft, mainly just care that things work.
  3. pane-free

pane-free Active Member

Welcome & ask away!

Five years -- it's as long as I have been using Linux exclusively. Jaunty Jackalope is what I cut my teeth on, at first. After that, it has to have been more than 50 distros that have been tried.

I owned eight 3.5" hard drives at one point and would swap them out of the old Shuttle KPC and install a distro on each. This made it handy to distro-hop. Some distros I did not care for and immediately got rid of after first boot-up and attempt to upgrade; other distros I used for a week or a month or two and then went to something else. Doing so taught me a lot.

One thing learned is that I prefer Debian and Slackware over Redhat or Gentoo (although I do like Scientific and Sabayon -- just not enough to use them regularly). Puppy is my failsafe distro -- for use on most anything. AntiX is the most versatile, as far as platforms go, distro that I have tried.

Currently, I am using Mint17_xfce_64-bit and Salix64-Openbox-14.1 (very nice, very lively). I just replaced KaOS, which is a KDE distro using strictly Qt libraries and software. I found it attractive but a bit too slow and cumbersome for my preference.

Explore!