1. IMPORTANT - 11/13/2015: In light of a possible breach we have scrubbed all passwords. You will need to request a password reset through the site. Click here for more information.

Local Linux Community

Discussion in 'General Linux' started by James Aaron, Apr 28, 2014.

1. James Aaron

James Aaron New Member

Apr 27, 2014
    I think forums, irc, google etc are great resources, however, I've been looking to start something local. I'm currently based in Columbia MO, which is a university town. Naturally one would look to a university for some kind of users group, but I've found that the university is extremely hard to navigate from the outside. Furthermore, I have an ambition for a project that's a little more than a user's group. I'd like to see open source computer labs, (much the same way people have community access television) that would offer an open place to discover open source. Linux is a community resource after all, but it's still a bit obscure.

I don't think I would have to sell a Linux forum on why a Windows computer lab as one might find at a local library is insufficient, though I imagine if I start talking about it more and more I might draw a few blank stares. I'm probably going to email the Free Software Foundation, would anyone know of people starting projects like this and where I might go for information.

ryanvade likes this.
  2. ryanvade

ryanvade Administrator Staff Member Staff Writer

Aug 4, 2012
    I really like your idea. I am attending SIUE and unfortunately the university uses Windows and OS X. Very disappointing. Its great you want to take this initiative.

Anyway, I don't know of any particular group that focuses on freeing computer labs. ;) The FSF would probably be best.

Good luck in your endeavors.
  3. MikeyD

MikeyD Active Member

Jul 23, 2013
    User groups may not be your ultimate goal, but they will be a great way to meet similar people in your area to jumpstart your idea.

I'd recommend checking out http://www.meetup.com/
    Its not a dating website although the name sounds like one :), but there are a lot of tech-based user groups you can get involved in to start meeting people. I know I signed up for a Python user group in my areas there