I'm thinking of installing Linux but....

C

catfunt

.....about 5 or 6 years ago I tried making my Vista machine a dual booting computer and installed a rather brown version of Ubuntu. I really didn't understand it. I did read books. I read things on forums but I was lost. So I wiped the partition and stuck with Windows.

I am now living in Egypt and nearly all of the software available is cracked - even Windows. But I am fed up with the fake Windows warnings that are popping up all of the time. So, I am thinking of taking the plunge again.

However, I have a desktop, three laptops, two tablets (Android) two phones (Android) and I just want something to plug'n'play straight out of the box. I don't tinker. I don't open things up. I don't root things. Someone more clever than me has designed these things to work and I respect their intelligence. So, it is time to try Ubuntu again? I gave up before because it didn't plug'n'play - it needed all sorts of who-knows-what in the set ups and I am not a programmer.

I am about to replace my desktop with a new Windows 8 decent spec model and I just don't want Windows 8.

My needs? All I do is Office (I've seen PlayOnLinux to install Office on a Linux machine), Clementine for music, Chrome for internet, DropBox, Acrobat.......that's about it.

I am tempted to install Ubuntu on my old Dual Core machine when I buy the new desktop and see how it goes, but my main desktop has two extra 2TB hard-drives on board and I stream movies and music all around my flat to laptops, Xbox and PS3. So will all of this be compatible?

If these are ridiculous questions then I do apologise, but if I install Linux on my new W8 machine then I will need to go the whole hog and install it on everything in order to carry on streaming movies, won't I?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time and the care to try and help.

you can use a Live CD or USB disk and try it. Then from any of these or using WUBI you can install your Linux distribution on a machine with Windows and keep it Dual Boot. When I tried Linux for first time I did it like this.
To Plug and Play transparently I definitely recommend you use any live CD from Ubuntu to Fedora or Mint.

Regarding software and compatibility you’ll find that for every proprietary software there are several open source alternatives compatible and with better performance and stability.

And allow me to also say: Don’t think you dislike it or don’t understand it or it seems strange. It’s not. It’s just different and you’re just not familiar with it.
So, before you think you don’t like it, come back here and ask the Forum. I’m sure you’ll ‘dig it’!

;)
Best Regards!

Hey @Virneto,

Thank you for your reply. I still haven't bought my new desktop yet but got a nice little bonus this month so I'll probably go and get it and then take your advice and boot from USB stick. I had read about this a while ago.

My research has brought me to two options: Mint or Ubuntu
and the consensus is that Ubuntu is more readily plug'n'play than Mint although Mint has a more 'Windows' UI - not my assessment; just what I've read on the net.

Is booting Ubuntu from USB as straightforward as is reckoned? I'll probably go for it with my Dual Core machine once I've loaded up my new desktop. That said, if I could buy the desktop with no OS then I'd save the $150 and go Ubuntu or Mint straight off.

@catfunt,
Actually DistroWach is suggesting Mint 15 on first place and Ubuntu on second. I think they are both awesome, especially for first time experiences. You should certainly try more than one Distro to find the excitement of discovering all Linux Flavors. I suggest you to keep an eye on DistroWatch and just (in time) try several Distros.

As to the UI, I think regardless of the Distro you choose, if you stick with KDE at the beginning, it may be easy for you to move around. But then again, once you feel comfortable I’m sure you’ll appreciate the Gnome Kick ;)

But for now, just to help you cross from Windows explorer to Linux KDE, just go and try the KDE+cump fusim desktop effects ;)

ps.: I understand if you turn the sound off, but you'll get an idea as to why you will love Linux;)

Best regards!
Virneto

OMG That is 2 minutes and 41 seconds of amazingness (new word patented by me). Yes the sound is hideous but the screen and effects are astonishing. I'm tempted to go and buy a cheap laptop just to experiment on. Actually, I have a Lenovo G580 i3 that I am using right now and an HP i7 model that just sits and charges all day - it is stainless steel and too heavy to carry round and I just never use it.

As I said in my original post, nearly everything here in Cairo is cracked and I got this Lenovo with no OS for about $300 a year ago (I am not sure it was totally legit) so I might try booting Mint 15 from USB on here and seeing what happens.

I'll speak with the IT guys at work and see if there is a Linux group in Cairo (who also speak good English because my Arabic is shocking) to whom I can turn if I have any difficulties.

You are a star, Virneto. Thank you.

Right. Tin hat time as the protests are starting in about two hours and are expected to last all night.

Oh Boy, Keep Safe!

Best Regards!

Thanks - I'm staying in but following on Twitter!

Caught this earlier - this is protective headgear as worn by a protester in Yemen
BQGQp0wCUAAuH0p.jpg

You might like Ubuntu Studio, comes preloaded with a lot of multimedia stuff.

Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity are also nice.

Thank you - I'll take a look at this.

I'm just downloading Mint 15 and will load it up onto a USB following SysAdmGirl's guidance on YouTube
and then try it from the USB.

I like the idea of dual booting for a while and slowly strangling my use of Windows until I just don't use it any more then moving all of my other machines to Linux.

Does Mint self-update or do you have to install the new version each time it comes out?

A concept that seems lost to most people is using a virtual machine to run Linux. Ubuntu is a good starter, it is easy to start with but doesn't always spoon feed. Since it doesn't hand everything to you it will make you learn to do things in the Terminal and tinker a bit.

Based on the OP's stated requirements and other comments/opinions - his best option would be to stick with windows.

Well, I finally took the plunge............why oh why didn't I do this years ago?!

Bought a cheap laptop to practise on (Asus X201E) and put Mint 15 on it. Oh how I love it.

My work laptop has W8 and I hate it with a passion. I hate everything there is about it. My productivity has dropped to virtually zero because the damn thing doesn't do what I want it to do.

But this Linux Mint 15 is godly piece of software. Been playing with it for a few days and am now sat next to it watching it munch through a download of Mint 16.

The help that is out there on the internet is phenomenal. I've installed the Cairo Dock, amazing Office-esque applications and it syncs with all of my Windows machines like a dream.

Huge thank you to all of the posters here. I really wish I had done this ages ago.

To anyone else in two minds - go for it!

Members online

Latest posts