linux intsalls are a pain in the

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by freemail1, Apr 24, 2014.

1. freemail1

freemail1 Member

there I said it and feel better

2. Yesyesloud

Yesyesloud Active Member

Best Answer
    Depending on the distribution picked, you can have a full, easy GNU/Linux install running even from usb drives.

Try popular ones. One of my least tech-savvy friends managed to dual boot Manjaro alongside Windows 8.1 (a very EFI-jealous system) on her very own (I offered help in case something went wrong... Not requested).

There's a lot of DIY in pure Debian, Arch and Slack, for instance. They're not for newcomers.

For total newbies: Mint, Manjaro, Ubuntu, Fedora, PClinuxOS etc. Anything user-friendly, full of drivers/firmwares and that comes with package management GUIs for dummies, all out of the box.
    ryanvade likes this.
  3. freemail1

freemail1 Member

title was meant to be '...in the a.s'
  4. freemail1

freemail1 Member

linux installs = snail pace, DIY, danger problems ahead, patience required
  5. freemail1

freemail1 Member

any one know of any other linux forums?
    I'm asking cause I'm in the mood to get fustrated some more.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  6. freemail1

freemail1 Member

6 days waiting for a solution. Where's all the Linux hotshots clamoring to help a newbie?
    All talk no action forum.
  7. Yesyesloud

Yesyesloud Active Member

Best Answer
    Depending on the distribution picked, you can have a full, easy GNU/Linux install running even from usb drives.

Try popular ones. One of my least tech-savvy friends managed to dual boot Manjaro alongside Windows 8.1 (a very EFI-jealous system) on her very own (I offered help in case something went wrong... Not requested).

There's a lot of DIY in pure Debian, Arch and Slack, for instance. They're not for newcomers.

For total newbies: Mint, Manjaro, Ubuntu, Fedora, PClinuxOS etc. Anything user-friendly, full of drivers/firmwares and that comes with package management GUIs for dummies, all out of the box.
    ryanvade likes this.
  8. ryanvade

ryanvade Administrator Staff Member Staff Writer

Well, you can always try this new thing called google. Heard it is great for finding information.
  9. MikeyD

MikeyD Active Member

Insults and impatience are wonderful ways to get answers from people volunteering their time to strangers...
    Bernard letuke and ryanvade like this.
  10. freemail1

freemail1 Member

My apologies to anyone who was offended.
  11. MikeyD

MikeyD Active Member

No worries and no offense taken, its just an unfortunate part of the intimacy of these forums. I'd say at most we have around 10 "regular" posters (posting at least once a week) at any one time not including admins, yet we have 16 linux-related forums (not including "Front Office" forums or actual content postings).

I like it personally because I like the intimacy of the community (like Cheers, everybody knows your name!) but unfortunately due to the popularity of the domain linux.org it seems we get a lot of questions, but few "regular" members who stick around for longer than a month or so, and those of us who are regulars are by no means experts either and we're learning and helping each other out too.

There are aspects of Linux I know really well like commands and shell scripting, and there are areas I'm not that great with like hardware troubleshooting. I'm sure its the same for most of the people here.
  12. arochester

arochester Active Member

Anybody tried installing Windows lately?
  13. DevynCJohnson

DevynCJohnson Well-Known Member Staff Member Staff Writer

Sorry for the long wait. Sometimes it seems like we are all here answering the same question several different ways. Then, some days go by were it seems like all of us hotshots are dead or something. It would be better if @Cyber-Berserker were still here :(.
  14. freemail1

freemail1 Member

Why is he absent?
  15. pane-free

pane-free Active Member

Hearsay says he was banned. Ask the powers that be.

However, use of a Debian-based distro allows use of the script smxi, which makes post-install tweaking a breeze.
  16. DevynCJohnson

Yes, he was banned (by ryanvade). Cyber said a dirty word (woe, big crime). He should have been allowed to stay. Cyber has contributed a lot to this forum (and helped with some articles).

http://www.linux.org/threads/kdialog-kde-gui-for-scripts.5815/#post-19838
  17. DevynCJohnson

I know, but someone might ban him for saying that particular word. (I am not joking)
  18. ryanvade

ryanvade Administrator Staff Member Staff Writer

19. Videodrome

Videodrome Active Member

I messed with Server 2008. Installed fine... eventually.

Also, it start to freak me out because it took so long to boot. I'm like "What the hell is it doing!?". I've been so spoiled by Arch / Manjaro.
    ryanvade likes this.
  20. Jonathan Holcombe

Jonathan Holcombe New Member

I found that many distros sites have a lot of help. A lot of them have step by step instructions on how to do everything from downloading to setting up a dual boot system. Hope this helps.
  21. CesarCara

CesarCara New Member

Like Arch, their site has a great Beginner Installation Guide, took me like half hour to install it. In fact I'm thinking about installing in my main PC.
    Last edited: May 16, 2014