Linux AV 6.0.1 Will install but not boot once USB is removed

Discussion in 'General Linux' started by ChrisW, Oct 11, 2013.

?

Have you installed AV Linux before or encountered this problem?

1. Yes, I have installed AV Linux

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, I have not installed AV Linux

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, I have encountered and fixed this or a similar problem on other distros before.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, I have no clue what this problem might be.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Actually, I know what hardware or ISO issues you may have had (please tell me)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ChrisW

ChrisW New Member

I am currently away from my tower pc, so my specs will be posted later today.
    The pc in question is able to run the "trial" of it on a bootable usb (SD card in adapter, it works and has worked before with chromium OS) I believe I have installed the correct version onto the SD card, but I believe that there is nothing wrong with the distro or the installation, as I have partitioned the HDD in the manner that the guide on the website has done. (www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html) This is the site I got it from. I can't figure out how to get the torrent download to work, so I used the secondary download mirror. I downloaded the 2nd file, the 2.7 GB one.

What would anyone reccomend doing? I have tried it with the hard drive partitioned in ext2,3,and 4 (the only modes available by using gparted and such.)
    I get to the screen where it says It's been installed, and then when the command line says to remove usb and hit enter, I do that, and it reboots, but doesn't get any farther than that. I partitioned 75 GB for ext, and the remaining 1-2 GB for linux-swap. I used the correct swap partition and correct /home partition. I used the /boot drive, not the 1st option for advanced users or whatever.

If you need any more information I'll gladly do it again and walk you through what I did, but I followed the guide on the www.bandshed.net/avlinux.html distro site.

Please help, as the only other distros I've installed were Mint and I didn't choose to install a Unetbootin of ubuntu. AV linux looks like great fun for a secondary system for editing with something besides windows movie maker, and it is a fun distro from the hour I've used it just playing around on the bootable usb.

Thanks
    Chris W
    BTW- I've got a Pentium, AMD GPU of some sort, and ~4GB ram. It can run windows 7, and I plan on using a 80GB HDD as opposed to my 250GB Windows 7 HDD, so as to easily switch between the two OS's without sacrificing boot time, allowing me to make sandwitches and eat food while the PC boots.
  2. arochester

arochester Active Member

Is Linux your sole OS or are you dual booting? If the latter what version of Windows have you got?

Where did you put Grub Boot Loader? Is this a reference to it?:
    What was the first option? MBR?
    ChrisW likes this.
  3. ChrisW

ChrisW New Member

Yes. Grub Boot loader was put onto the partition that was formatted to ext 2, 3, or 4 depending on what trial. Also, yes, it was the MBR, I just couldn't think of it. Should I try to use MBR or continue with grub boot loader

Disclaimer- I am not currently at the computer and therefore cannot repeat the process to ensure that my shoddy memory is correct. I'll do the best I can to remember what's up, but I will make sure to correct myself later

Thanks,
    Chris W
  4. arochester

arochester Active Member

I did ask if Linux was your sole OS or if you have Windows. I ditched Windows a while ago - XP, where it would have gone on the MBR (Master Boot Record). I have no real experience of Vista, 7 or 8!

The MBR is a tiny little section on your hard drive and that is the usual place to put the Boot. It should be better detected there .
    ChrisW likes this.
  5. ChrisW

ChrisW New Member

Thanks, I'll try that now. By the way, Windows 7 isn't half bad, but as a frequent XP user, it was really astounding how much they could rework everything while still managing to improve a lot of it and then confuse me all at the same time. It's just like any operating system but with a few visual wows. I'll post into this forum when AV Linux gets working.
  6. ChrisW

ChrisW New Member

Yep! Running AV Linux now. Thanks to arochester, the issue was Me not choosing MBR (Master Boot Record). Thanks!
  7. ChrisW

ChrisW New Member

Yep! Running AV Linux now. The issue was Me not choosing MBR (Master Boot Record). Thanks!