secure shell hosts on the internet

E

emekadavid

can anyone recommend free secure shell hosts on the internet. googled but didn't understand results i was getting. hope the community can help me with something quality. thanks

I think you're not understanding what secure shell is. SSH (Secure SHell) is a method of remote login. Telnet is also a remote login, but it's not encrypted (therefore ssh is massively preferred).

If you're looking for an SSH client/server program, I strongly suggest to get OpenSSH. It's usually prepackaged with a lot of distros, and if it isn't, it's very very likely it exists in your distro's repository.

Interpreting what you said the best I can, if you're looking for a cloud server/general hosting server (not free) I recommend Amazon for cloud, and google around for server services (ie remote hosted webserver).

Other than that, please clarify what you're asking.

I think you're not understanding what secure shell is. SSH (Secure SHell) is a method of remote login. Telnet is also a remote login, but it's not encrypted (therefore ssh is massively preferred).

If you're looking for an SSH client/server program, I strongly suggest to get OpenSSH. It's usually prepackaged with a lot of distros, and if it isn't, it's very very likely it exists in your distro's repository.

Interpreting what you said the best I can, if you're looking for a cloud server/general hosting server (not free) I recommend Amazon for cloud, and google around for server services (ie remote hosted webserver).

Other than that, please clarify what you're asking.
i want to be able to use a bash shell while working from anywhere. although I have a linux system on my laptop, but I think i am the only one, so i want to be able to use a bash shell even from a windows computer from a public facility or a friend's computer, that is what prompted the question in the first place. I need a service that can give me that facility. I know that if i was in an academic environment i might have to apply for one, but i know i can get such a facility even outside an academic env. thanks. I have already downloaded the PUTTY software; openssh does not have a binary for a windows system. yet!
thanks

Next time ask for a.ssh client. May be many people can understand. Bye

Next time ask for a.ssh client. May be many people can understand. Bye
you didn't understand me. i already have a ssh client. i have googled for a ssh server (wonder if that is the right word) or ssh host where i can send queries to and receive responses that runs on linux so i can work with the xterm on the remote machine from a windows computer since 99% of the computers around me are windows based. i need it for exercises and class work now and in the future. wish i can get something free online or close to that.
thanks.

i want to be able to use a bash shell while working from anywhere. although I have a linux system on my laptop, but I think i am the only one, so i want to be able to use a bash shell even from a windows computer from a public facility or a friend's computer, that is what prompted the question in the first place. I need a service that can give me that facility. I know that if i was in an academic environment i might have to apply for one, but i know i can get such a facility even outside an academic env. thanks. I have already downloaded the PUTTY software; openssh does not have a binary for a windows system. yet!
thanks

This clarifies a lot. Since there are many ways to do it, all of them brilliant, I'm going to tell you all of them.

Starting with your private connection and residence, you could ask your ISP to give you a static IP, which would cost 5-20 USD extra per month.
if and/or when you have a static IP, you could do the ol' standard ssh into it or you could take a bit further, and install a VPN server in your home. this will make your home feel like it's on the LAN wherever you're working from.

Now, on the supposed windows workstation, you can either bring a boot stick and boot into that, which thwarts any viruses, and will not ever remember anything you do ever. which makes it the ultimate private session. (I did this at high school all the time.)

Now, if you're not allowed to reboot the computer, you could install Cygwin, on a 4-8 gig stick (my install became 5 gigs), which gives you a Unix-like environment on windows.

Whichever *stick you do, cygwin or boot, the static IP/VPN will work with both.

I have the exact same problem as you do. I have a windows partition that I only use for games, and whenever I am in it, everything seems so severely limited.

I have googled around and found some decent pseudo-like bash environments.

http://www.steve.org.uk/Software/bash/
http://win-bash.sourceforge.net/

And not really part of the list, but it said some interesting stuff:
http://serverfault.com/questions/22...-terminal-for-windows-as-good-as-the-os-x-one

I am not the OP, but this is very interesting. I would like to set these services up on my box, and will look into them later when I get home. Question:On such services, is ASH still a competitive shell, or would you reccomend going full bash? I have used ash for a while, but I switched back to bash because of limited functionality.

... I have a linux system on my laptop, but I think i am the only one, ...
You are not alone! I wiped my laptop clean and installed Fedora Linux immediately after I bought it several years ago.

i want to be able to use a bash shell while working from anywhere. ... I need a service that can give me that facility.

It sounds like you are looking for an account you can use SSH into. There are actually a few around that you can get for free. Here are three lists of accounts (some free, some not) which I've found:

dmoz.org, bylur.net and red-pill.eu

The best ones listed that I've found are these:

FreeShell.org and PolarHome.com

BTW. I regularly ssh into my home linux PC from work and from my laptop elsewhere. I do NOT have a static IP, so my home IP address changes every once in a while. But I can always find it.

How can I find my home IP address? I have a system. Basically, I make cron get the address regularly from queryip.net and write it to a small file on some server that I have access to. I wrote it up a while ago here.

Members online