Hello, everyone.

J

JimBobIII

Former Linux user here getting ready to jump back in. I had Fedora 16 installed most recently, before I backed up and wiped that partition to test out the Windows 8 Preview, which was a pretty big mistake, in my opinion. Anyways, I figured I'd look around and discuss things this time around rather than installing whatever distro suits my mood at installation time and then following someone else's blog to get it tweaked how I like it.

Welcome to the Linux Forum. Great to have you.

Why did you change? Can you tell me a bit about this? How about telling why you decide to choose Fedora.?

What did you in the most in Windows, what may now is missing on Fedora.

so far
Akendo

At the time I set up this notebook, I used Fedora mostly because I wanted a distro with good Gnome-Shell support, as it always seemed to be a hassle in the Ubuntu boxes I set up for people. The only reason I kept a Windows 7 partition around was because as a gamer there are always a bunch of little niggles in trying to set up everything to run perfectly under WINE or any frontend for it. That, and there's no good way to watch Netflix on Linux. Since I was using the Windows 7 partition more often than the Fedora one at the time the Windows 8 preview came out, I ultimately ended up sacrificing Fedora to check it out, which was a regrettable decision.

Welcome, JimBobIII!

May your mindset undergo profound change and, hence, become truly free of the Pane!

Meanwhile, since you favor Gnome, check out SolusOS, as a suggestion.

Welcome, JimBobIII!

May your mindset undergo profound change and, hence, become truly free of the Pane!

Meanwhile, since you favor Gnome, check out SolusOS, as a suggestion.

I echo that - it is great.

Have a great time searching your new found knowledge base - welcome.

Hi JimBob! Hopefully you can teach me some new tricks since I am a complete Noob and don't know anything. Im starting ut with Mint. Do you think this is a safe choice for beginners?

W8, ouch. I too a look at it and thought "NOPE."

Hope to see your around the forums!

Members online