UEFI boot?

R

Rob

I'm attempting to blow out my wife's new windows 8 toshiba satellite c855-s5350 with Linux but it won't boot from the install dvd..

The dvd worked fine on my older laptop..

As it boots, I'm hitting f12.. pick the dvd to boot..

Here's the msg I get as it tries to load it:
Checking Media [fail]

Then it boots into Windows 8

Guessing this is the whole locked down UEFI boot thing..

Got it - I had to go into windows 8 advanced settings, go into the uefi settings which would launch the 'bios' .. and disable secure boot.

This allowed me to boot off a 64bit ubuntu usb drive and I installed from there.

Are you saying you had to do it from within Windows8? You couldn't do it from the BIOS screen?

That's scary. What if the disk gets corrupted?

I have yet to put my fingers on a UEFI PC, but of course that will change at some point. Still don't see the advantage for anyone but Microsoft.

Hello.. in my case Win8 settings just send me to the bios when I can disable Secure Boot.. however, even if I disable it, I still have the "Checking media fail" output.
The CD itself (a DVD medium actually, Ubuntu 12.10 amd64) boots great on other laptops...

What could I do (other than splash the laptot on the head of the seller .. now I'm getting violent, I know..) ??

It figures -- redhat and 'buntu sell out and slackware works it out! Just a commentary, stating something backed up by reference. Last I'll say anything about it unless censored.

i bought a toshiba satellite c855 i installed linux mint 13,and when i want to shutdown restarted again,idiscovered that ican install opensuse last version,dual boot with win 8 64 bit pro,i use opensuse primarily.i hope this helps.

Luckily, my Gateway had the Legecy/UEFI settings for easy change. Problem I'm having is nothing seems to want to boot with UEFI settings.

Secure Boot is downright criminal I'm not sure how this hasn't been brought up as an antitrust violation. I'm glad it wasn't too tough for you Rob, as more often I hear statements like Sylvaticus' that disabling that secure boot option does nothing.

Of course even finding a laptop these says without Win 8 is a task in itself. I luckily bought mine 6+ months ago and even then it was one of the few still available with Win7.

I recently bought a lenovo g505 with win8 pre-installed and had some problems installing because of UEFI. I had to go into BIOS and change it to legacy boot to boot from install DVD. I boot linux from mbr, IF i need to use windows, i just change to UEFI boot.

i realize this is an old thread, but there is an easy way to create a UEFI/SecureBoot compatible boot disk in Windows. All you will need is a disk you can nuke, a preinstalled copy of windows, and a modern x86_64 or AMD64 ISO image of linux.

1. Open command prompt or Powershell as Administrator
2. run the command "diskpart". this allows us to format and partition drives (in this case, your USB)
3. Connect the USB you want to nuke (transfer any data off of it before you continue, your going to wipe it clean)
4. run the command "list disk". we want to find your USB and this command allows you to find it, the size should be a giveaway of which disk it is
5. run the command "sele disk #" with # being the disk number of your USB you got in step 4. this sets the current disk to work with to your USB.
6. run the command "clean". this nukes your USB and deletes any files and filesystems on it.
7. run the command "crea part prim". This will create a primary partition we can store data on the USB with.
8. run the command "format quick". this formats the partition we have just created
9. run the command "active". this allows the computer to use the USB to boot a bootloader (e.g. GRUB2).
10. open the ISO file and copy all the files to your USB.
11. Reboot in UEFI mode with Secureboot enabled

if you have done all this, you should have a valid bootable Linux install USB/LiveUSB and be greeted with an installation screen or desktop

NOTE:
I have set up Windows/Windows, Windows/Linux, and Linux/Linux dual boots using this method. just remember to install Linux last