Learning Lua

Discussion in 'General Computing' started by DevynCJohnson, Jan 7, 2014.

1. DevynCJohnson

DevynCJohnson Well-Known Member Staff Member Staff Writer

For those of you wishing to learn the Lua programming language, check out this website - http://tylerneylon.com/a/learn-lua/

The website is meant for people that already know programming and computer logic. The point of the site is to teach Lua. I already know some programming languages, so this website is wonderful just showing me how Lua is structured.
    Haider92 likes this.
  2. Duck

Duck New Member

Awesome then started creating more games for linux with love2d.
    "Hi there! LÖVE is an *awesome* framework you can use to make 2D games in Lua. "
    Yay:)
    DevynCJohnson likes this.
  3. KenJackson

KenJackson Active Member

I haven't looked a lua in years, but I found it to be a perfect fit for what I needed a while back.

I had developed and was maintaining a test setup that required frequent changes. So I added a small ad hoc configuration language that enabled me to make changes without recompiling. It worked great at first.

But I kept needing to add more support for different hardware and special cases, so the language grew uglier and uglier as I added syntax as needed at the moment in a way that wouldn't conflict with everything else. I realized I was in desperate need of an embedded language that was simple yet flexible and very extensible. I searched.

I found lua. I hacked out my crude language, dropped in lua, extended it, used it for a few years and loved it.
    DevynCJohnson likes this.