Laptop For Online PC Games

Discussion in 'Laptops / Netbooks' started by Ja'cobeC, May 23, 2012.

1. ryanvade

ryanvade Administrator Staff Member Staff Writer

Nvidia Optimus cards are working fine on Linux. I have written a couple of tutorials on how to set them up on Debian based systems. Ati discrete graphics can be a problem still, but not Nvidia. Just install Bumblebee, the Bumblebee indicator, and the latest Nvidia drivers and you should be good.

MikeyD likes this.
  2. ShonnaDeem

ShonnaDeem New Member

Whatever hardware you purchase but if you are looking f0r a gaming pc than Dell is the best of all...i am a gaming freak and almost spend 7 to 8 hours of gaming on my Dell..but this machine seems to be uncrackable.
  3. cronugs

cronugs New Member

That's awesome to hear and a tutorial is a great contib. Would you link to it here for all that might be interested.
    ryanvade likes this.
  4. ryanvade

ryanvade Administrator Staff Member Staff Writer

I would love to. I tried to put my tutorial in the tutorial section of this forum but was not allowed. :( No idea why. Anyway, here is my tutorial if you want to look at it. Most of this may not be needed. But I put it in there because some users ran into bus id issues.
    Install Bumblebee 3.2, and Bumblebee indicator on 13.04
    If you are a Cuda user, this works great with it. Just use Optirun.
    [​IMG]
  5. Charlie Lipka

Charlie Lipka New Member

Well I am running an Asus G75vw with Ubuntu 13.10 on it gnome and I run Steam under it, plays games great, I pulled win7 off of it and ran Ubuntu on it since I was too lazy to install gentoo on it but I have zero complaints, running Counter Strike Source with everything on High pulls a decent 110 FPS on average.

HTH,
    Charlie
  6. Adam H.

Adam H. New Member

I suggest something with a nice video card, somewhere between a 1GB to 2GB size. Also, if you are playing a 3D game, try getting at least 4GB of RAM.( 8 is a better idea though. :) ) For a processor, something around above 2GHz is a good option, and aim for a quad core processor, not a dual core. Lenovo laptops do fairly well at a decent price, I would reccomend looking into one of their higher end models. ( y510p for example, too bad I don't have one! http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/
  7. Rekim Janip

Rekim Janip New Member

HP brand works for me, i guess you try it too!