1. IMPORTANT - 11/13/2015: In light of a possible breach we have scrubbed all passwords. You will need to request a password reset through the site. Click here for more information.

Discussion in 'Linux Hardware' started by Michele Simonian, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Michele Simonian

Michele Simonian New Member

Sep 20, 2012

I'm wondering if maybe someone can help me here.

I had my keyboard set up to switch between Italian and English (US). I wanted to add a third keyboard specializing in mathematical operators, as I do a lot of math. Stupidly (I admit it!!) I followed instructions on a website that went to the effect that in the terminal with dpkg it is possible to change keyboard layouts, including adding them(sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration).

Well, that didn't do it. Not only did it not do it, I can now only use an Italian keyboard. System Preferences - Keyboard Preferences gives me only one choice of keyboards (you guessed it-- Italian). No others. The files are there under usr/share/x11/xkb/symbols, but the system apparently does not see them (or if it does, it doesn't give a hoot).

I can use Lxkeymap, but it is cumbersome.

I cannot remember how I got the dual keyboard in the first place. I could swear it was a GUI integrated into Mint-- nothing I downloaded, no terminal witchcraft. But every forum I have checked, I have come up empty-handed. Any ideas?

Oh, yes-- and how DOES one go about customizing a keyboard???

Thanks to all, and MINTY beats corned-beef-on-rye anyday (breathwise, that is)