Kali Linux After SetUp

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by enesdikme, Aug 28, 2013.

1. enesdikme

enesdikme New Member

Hello everyone :) this my first thread in this site and actually I did set up Kali the day before yesterday ; so I have almost no experience with the use of Linux . I know , Kali isn't a good start to learn using Linux properly but even so , I am just so curious about how the things work in this world :)

Maybe these are just the influences that the amazing articles have made upon me.Here's what I did all day while I was setting up Kali and after the installation there are lots that I can't figure out .

---I downloaded Kali Linux 1.0.4_ amd64.iso file then downloaded win32diskimager application from Kali Website and wrote the image with the mentioned app. to a USB Stick :)
    ---Then I restarted my laptop and booted from USB , Kali Sceen popped up and I chose Live and the hardest part (for me it was) was shrinking the SSD with ''Gparted'' to open some space for Kali .
    ---Well, I coped with Gparted and the last thing needed to do was installation.I rebooted and chose Graphical Install and completed the set up .

--- These were what I did .And the followings are some of my concerns ...
    1. I've set up Kali on SSD , does Kali (Kernel Linux 3.7) support SSD's or at least is there anything I can do for best performance ?

2.I have an Optimus laptop which has an integrated Intel Gpu and also nVIDIA Gpu which I know there will be difficulties for me in future when I want to use nVIDA :(
    Anyone who can try to give a hand will be much appreciated ...
    Also I found this http://docs.kali.org/general-use/install-nvidia-drivers-on-kali-linux

3. I've heard about Pyrit(using GPU core power for processing calculations ) ; I had tried on Bactrack 5 r3 but it was a frustration ; now what I wonder is , if it's possible to use Pyrit ? :)

Actually there are lots of question marks in my mind but anyways I should thank you for reading my post :)
    Have a great day ;)
  2. Cristal Skull

Cristal Skull Member

1.type sudo su
    2.apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    3.download the NVIDIA driver
    4.open a terminal>sudo su >/etc/init.d/gdm3 stop
    5.go in location where is driver cd /folder_where_is_driver_download
    6. sh NVIDIA-driver-blablabla.sh

7.First part of installation , uninstall the nouveau driver , restart and rerun the script , ignore the error with gcc compiler , just continue and install the Nvidia driver
    8.After installation , restart
    enesdikme likes this.
  3. Cristal Skull

Cristal Skull Member

upgrade the linux-image kernel (i think is 3.9..)
    enesdikme likes this.
  4. enesdikme

enesdikme New Member

Well , I know you explained everthing in its best way , but there are some points that I might not succeed in doing alone .
    And I should confirm and avoid my misunderstandings by a****g the sentences .
    4. I will open terminal and should I type these ''>'' , and above there was a ''$'' ; should I type ?
    And forgive me I 'm so newbie, how can I download the nvidia driver and is it possible to use Pyrit after installing nvidia driver ?
  5. Cristal Skull

Cristal Skull Member

sorry , my bad!
    >- is next step
    enesdikme likes this.
  6. Cristal Skull

Cristal Skull Member

4.open a terminal, type sudo su , login as root and type /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop
    enesdikme likes this.
  7. enesdikme

enesdikme New Member

Every letter that you've typed appreciated ;) By the way , do you have any information about Pyrit ? (And will the nvida driver version be the latest version after I installed the nvidia driver like you said ?) -- Just curiousity :) :D
  8. ryanvade

ryanvade Administrator Staff Member Staff Writer

The nvidia drivers should be up to date yes.
    And as for pyrit:
    http://code.google.com/p/pyrit/wiki/Installation
    enesdikme likes this.
  9. enesdikme

enesdikme New Member

Ok I will try to install Pyrit and nVIDIA driver ; but first , I should install nvidia driver and then Pyrit ,is that right ?
    And what I wonder is , Is there anyone who takes advantage or uses Pyrit out there ? :)
    ryanvade likes this.
  10. ryanvade

ryanvade Administrator Staff Member Staff Writer

11. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Just a heads up with Kali you need to watch what you add or some of its features wont work right. Kali and BackTrack were meant to be light weight.
  12. sharp rizor

sharp rizor New Member

i just installed kali linux recently on my windows 7 ibm thinkpad since then my system cannot startup. am very worried. can anyone here help me ?
  13. arochester

arochester Well-Known Member

What happens? What can you see on the screen?