Try DigitalOcean free for up to two months!

Installing Linux Mint

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by William400, Mar 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. William400

William400 New Member

I have posted to this site before about not being able to install Linux Mint on my HP Laptop. Stay away from HP. It will not accept any Linux distro. I just installed Linux Mint 18.1 with Cinnamon on my other computer a Gateway (they don't make them anymore). It took about 5 seconds for the installation and everything is working fine. Hope this helps anyone else.

2. atanere

atanere Active Member

I tend to suspect that your HP laptop is a newer computer (and we all know that Gateway is an ancient brand). If your HP came preinstalled with Windows 8 or Windows 10, then I can understand your difficulty installing Linux on it. There are a number of issues with newer computers, but they can usually be overcome with some investigation and maybe some trial-and-error. But it often takes EFFORT to get it going and is not as simple as you found the Gateway install.

I have such a laptop myself, HP (Model 11-n010dx) that was purchased with Windows 8. It is currently running 2 Linux distros, Debian and Linux Lite. I have fought this thing many times over many years, so I really do understand your frustration. If you'd like to change your mind and try again, I (and many others here) will be glad to try to help you.

Cheers!