Install Linux Mint instead of, or besides Windows 8

Discussion in 'Mint' started by Borje, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Borje

Borje New Member

I have just bought a new laptop Samsung 300E with Windows 8 installed. As I hate Windows I wanted to get rid of it and install Linux Mint 14 via CD as I have done earlier with other older windows computers. But every try to install Linux fails, as Windows always starts instead of the CD image. I have changed the boot preference to CD, but it doesn't help. How can I get rid of that pesky Windows or at least be able to have Linux as alternative by booting?

Borje
  2. pane-free

pane-free Active Member

3. Artim

Artim New Member

These instructions apply to Ubuntu, but will work on Linux Mint (which is built on Ubuntu): Installing over UEFI

Artim
  4. jerz4lunch

jerz4lunch New Member

If you haven't already overwritten Windows 8(.1), hold down Windows(the Super Key), and press c on the keyboard. Click on the bottom-most icon (that looks like a gear). Click the button labeled "Power", and while holding down either Shift key, click restart.

Search Google, StartPage, etc. for How to Boot and Install Linux on a UEFI PC With Secure Boot and open the How-To-Geek article with the same name.
  5. ryanvade

ryanvade Administrator Staff Member Staff Writer

http://www.howtogeek.com/175641/how-to-boot-and-install-linux-on-a-uefi-pc-with-secure-boot/

:)
    jerz4lunch likes this.
  6. jerz4lunch

jerz4lunch New Member

Thanks for posting the link for me.;)