HP ZV5000 - XP - Lubuntu will not start

Discussion in 'General Linux' started by URDRWHO, Feb 23, 2014.

1. URDRWHO

URDRWHO Member

Ok, last week, even though I chose install along side windows, I was the one that Lubuntu decided to install over my Win XP partition. Got the partition back and programs running.

Today I decide to give the install another try. This time I choose the "something else" option at installation and installed on a newly created partition.

Now Lubuntu will not start and all I get is a blinking cursor.

I can start windows without a problem.

Several questions:

How to I make windows the default start up option.
    If I need to do it, how do I uninstall Grub
    If I need to how do I uninstall Lubuntu
    Can I change the Lubuntu start-up config using the live CD

I once had Ubuntu on this laptop and it worked well. I can't get Lubuntu to play well. Last week when Lubuntu choose to overwrite the windows petition it would boot.

Maybe I should just install Ubuntu and that would overwrite Grub

After what happened last week, I am gun shy to use the windows command to repair commands - bootrec fixmbr and bootrec FixBoot.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. Darren Hale

Darren Hale Active Member

lxde can be installed as a desktop environment for ubuntu, so you can still have the excellent LXDE. Welcome to our community and good luck with finding your answers.
  3. arochester

arochester Super Moderator Staff Member

You can change the boot order as here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/100232/how-do-i-change-the-grub-boot-order

You use Windows to: fixmbr . As here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/repairmbr.htm This will retore MBR (Master Boot Record)

If you mean how do I go back to Windows, I think you just extend the Windows Partition . If you mean how do I load another distro of Linux you just install into the Lubuntu Partition.
  4. URDRWHO

URDRWHO Member

I'm think that maybe my laptop doesn't like Lubuntu. I also notice that when running the live disk, the file icons don't show unless my cursor is on them. Some may stay visible, some may not. It may be a video problem? Maybe it is why it doesn't load?
  5. arochester

arochester Super Moderator Staff Member

Input the command: lspci

What appears on the line about "VGA compatible controller"

That is your video card.
  6. URDRWHO

URDRWHO Member

Yep --- I knew this one
    NVIDIA GeForce4

I installed the 32 bit and then I thought that since my HP is an AMD 64 bit I should use 64 bit. I downloaded the 64 bit and ran it live. The icons still do the same thing.

I ran a Ubuntu disk live and didn't see the same issue. Odd????

My laptop is running 2 gig of memory but the HD is only 60 gigs. I do have the external 500 that I off load music, pics, etc. In the end I have enough space that could install either Ubuntu or Lubuntu.

I'm all about running as lean as possible and I would like to use the lighter Lubuntu but I'm having issues.