Installing New Software Programs - Debian

L

LinuxDotOrg

Debian Updates

There are various methods to installing new programs on a Debian system. I like to classify them according to your connection type.
Code:
dpkg
This is the "classic" way of updating a Debian system. Typically, you could go to Debian's website or any one of its mirrors and download a package.

type_this_command.png

Code:
dpkg -i package.deb

to install it.

The main drawback to this is that you may find a package that you like but it may have dependencies (ie. other programs that it needs to make it run) and if you don't have those packages, then the install will fail.

This is what the Debian people themselves have to say about this method:

Many people find this approach much too time-consuming, since Debian evolves so quickly -- typically, a dozen or more new packages are uploaded every week. This number is larger just before a new major release. To deal with this avalanche, many people prefer to use automated programs.

Despite what they say, the main advantage of dpkg, it seems to me, is that it is easy for people who have dial-up connections. This is because the alternative, automated programs they're talking about, which are dselect and apt-get are better for permanent connections (cable, xDSL, T1, T3). Let's talk about this method of installing new programs with Debian.
Code:
dselect

When you use dselect you get a graphic user interface of sorts (not under X window, though) to guide you through the install of new programs.
First you'll get asked for your preferred access method. That means, how you're going to get and install them. For example, if I were doing an install of Debian with CDs, then I would choose CD-ROM. But if I were updating, I would choose FTP

Then you would choose the packages you want with a + sign. You can even put updates on hold (indicate that you want to update, but not actually do it) with a = sign. There may even be conflicts or dependency problems and 'dselect' will warn you about those.

Then you start the process by choosing the install option.

Debian will then configure the installed packages.

Then you're on your way.

As I said before, the main advantage to this is that any conflicts or dependency problems will be resolved right here. The Debian people point out that this is ideal for installs or large-scale upgrades. If that's the case, it seems that a slow and sometimes expensive dial-up connection would be less than ideal for this.