How to use GNU Screen in Linux

Discussion in 'Linux News' started by Rob, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Rob

Rob Guest

Screen is billed as a “full-screen window manager that multiplexes a physical terminal between several processes (typically interactive shells)” (from the man page). Linux admins use screen for different purposes, but the most common is the ability to run long processes on remote servers – with the ability to disconnect, then reconnect later to see […]

The post How to use GNU Screen in Linux appeared first on Linux Brigade.

Continue reading...

JasKinasis and ryanvade like this.
  2. JasKinasis

JasKinasis Member

Great tutorial Rob thanks for that!
    I can't believe I've been using Linux for so long and remained completely unaware of its existence. I'll definitely be having a play with it at some point. It looks like it will make my desktop sessions a little less cluttered!

In dwm, when I have a long process running in a terminal session on a remote or local machine; I normally associate that session with one of my spare tags. Usually tags 5-7.

Tags 1-4 are used for whatever things I'm actively viewing/working on, 5-7 are for things that are less used/less important. And tags 8 and 9 are my web tags. 8 has things like IRC clients, email etc. running in it and 9 is solely for my browser.

Whereas with KDE/Plasma, I tend to shove those terminal sessions to a different virtual desktop, or associate them with a different activity to get them out of the way and then switch to that desktop/activity when I need to check on them.

Screen definitely looks like it will free up some desktop real-estate for me!
    Rob likes this.