server to server directory transfer

N

night

I have a freebsd NOAAport system running. So I have very limited knowledge of CMD line Linux. I am moving from 1and1.com to a godaddy.com server. What I would like to do is do a server to server file transfer. Keeping the directory structure intact. Both servers have ssh available. What are my options?

Mark

Another vote for rsync :)

Something like:
Code:
rsync -avz /path/to/folder/ [email protected]:/path/to/folder/

Practice a bit with it - whether or not to use the trailing slashes for instance always get me ;) Depending on the paths and what you're transferring, you'll change em up.

Godaddy nor 1and1 have that CMD rsnyc. That is strange that they would not provide a way for the owner to backup their sites.

Mark

I'm sorry. 1and1 does have that CMD but Godaddy does not. Also when I open an ssh session with godaddy it is a bash prompt. Bash seems familiar.

Mark

Godaddy does have a perl modual rsnyc.pm avalible to me.

Mark

Godaddy uses bash. I am not familure with bash. If I have a perl script that calls the rsync.rm file from a ssh sesion with godaddy. Will that work with 1and1 rsync CMD?

Mark

rsync is rsync. depends on the version. When you have bash available try to search for rsync via whereis. Maybe you find it. Else try to install it.

When I had to transfer from sever to server, I had to download, then upload via ftp. I do not reccomend this, it takes forever.

When I had to transfer from sever to server, I had to download, then upload via ftp. I do not reccomend this, it takes forever.

That is why I would love to do this with rsnyc.

Mark

ftp either rsync are not the problem, i guess it will be more the connection. ftp may inefficiency but it's working. But i depends how much bandwidth your getting between the two Host provider.

But good luck with that.

my connection is 20 dl and 2 ul I would think that the bandwith between godaddy and 1and1 would be much much higher.

Is linux so hard that no one knows how to get these two sites talking to each other? Is there a better way to transfer the data than rsnyc?

Mark

20 what? b? Please try to more in details, it's very hard to reply to this.

rsync i quite the best for that job. Read a bit here about it. What real is great for you is the -z option for compression.

But take a look about the doc, read the man page!

From the top.

I want to transfer my files from 1and1.com to godaddy.com 1and1 has rsnyc but godaddy only has it as a perl script. Also godaddy uses bash. I am nofamiliarre with either. I really do not want to dl (download) all the files to my computer @ 20 mbits And then ul (upload) them @ 2mbits I have close to a tera of data to move.

I am have oldman brain lock trying to find the right combination of commands to get this job done.

Mark

Thankyou for helping an old man. I got all of it dl (downloaded) to my computer. And have begain ul(uploading) the files to godaddy server. I am ul(uploading) the important files first. And will deal with the others in a priority fastion.

I just wish that we could have gotten rsnyc to work. I would think a lot of peple would beifit from it.

Mark

Give this a bash? .... is your target user at server
find . | tar cf - | ssh .... "cd somedir && tar xf -"

Members online