How to check which distros come with which DEs

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Murp, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Murp

Murp New Member

I'm trying to convert to Linux, trying out a bunch of different distros. My main concern is with appearance, so my main focus is on Desktop Environments. Well, as I'm researching them (mostly through Wikipedia), it doesn't say which DEs come with which Distros!

Is there any place to check that information, aside from going to the download page of each Distro and seeing what versions they offer? (For example, LinuxMint offers a Cinnamon, MATE, KDE and Xfce download.)

2. WharfRat

WharfRat New Member

3. ryanvade

ryanvade Administrator Staff Member Staff Writer

4. arochester

arochester Well-Known Member

O.K. a particular distro might come with a particular DE by default , but you can add several DEs to that distro. The only problem is that you can end up with a confusing menu with e.g. Gnome apps and KDE apps.

Have a look at http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php He has stuff down the left side about:
    So, you could start with Ubuntu OR Kubuntu OR Xubuntu and just add the others on top. He also has, below that:
    That is his prescription for removing stuff. @DevynCJohnson has different methods.
    DevynCJohnson likes this.
  5. Murp

Murp New Member

Neat! It's still listing distros, though, with info on what DEs they use if you click on them. A reverse list; of DEs with what distros use them, would be nice.

Same thing. It's nice, but it's listing the distros and I have to click into every single one to comprehensively compare DEs.

I did know you can change DEs, it's just, since I'm starting out, I'd prefer to pick a distro that comes with a DE I like, so I don't have to mess around with that, instead of installing new ones myself.

Speaking of which, if I can freely change DEs, what's the difference between the underlying distros? Just speed and reliability and such?
  6. WharfRat

WharfRat New Member

If you open mint's page, then click on the mate desktop link it will bring up a query of distros that incorporate mint ;)
    Murp likes this.
  7. JasKinasis

JasKinasis Member

8. Murp

Murp New Member

Niiiiiiiiiice.

Danke schoen.
  9. DevynCJohnson

DevynCJohnson Well-Known Member Staff Member Staff Writer