1. IMPORTANT - 11/13/2015: In light of a possible breach we have scrubbed all passwords. You will need to request a password reset through the site. Click here for more information.

Hi from Oregon

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by warrenc, Jun 16, 2012.

1. warrenc

warrenc New Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I'm relatively new to Linux and have been running PCLOS with satisfaction. My motivation is I surf the Internet a lot and have had Windows blown out from under me a few times, but Linux has not let that happen. If it ever did, I can have it restored and running in a few minutes.

I have also run Ubuntu and Mint, but I think PCLOS is simpler for non-geeks. Maybe I can learn some good stuff here and graduate up later.
  2. offspringftw

offspringftw New Member

May 6, 2012
    Welcome to the forums. I'm new as well and cannot give you 'essential' tips and tricks. I'm sure you'll learn a lot and as you said, gradually get more experience with Linux.

Make sure you follow all the rules though.
  3. pane-free

pane-free Active Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Hi, warrenc -- very glad to see people with courage enough to toss the dominant OS, whatever their reason. You made a good choice in beginning with PCLOS. I don't understand why it is not recommended more often as a distro of choice for beginners. The Gnome version of it from a couple of year ago is one I found worked admirably on an old dektop with a PIII processor. The limited choice found in its repositories is what finally made me switch after a few months. I still keep the wallpaper depicting a steam train in Scotland -- one of my favorites!

EDIT: see http://www.linuxforum.com/threads/3020-Linux-Decision/page2 -- I take my first sentence back -- be pane-fr33 !