New old guy on board...

P

Paceway

Just to say hi to all.

I have been playing with these darn things since before windows even existed. My first run in with a computer was with an IBM 1401....that was a few years ago.

After forty years in the graphics design and printing business I am now retired and I still can't get off the computer. I just ordered a new machine that will fly, so they say, to replace one that went up in smoke.

I am doing some 3d graphics/video and game development for local businesses. I am also working on some programs in Python and C++. The new machine will run linux as soon as I figure out the distro I want to use and how to get it installed. That shouldn't take more then a couple of hours right....lol.

I am sure I will be here often cause I will need a lot of help and I can see that this is a very helpful community.

Bob Pace
Design501
The Sunshine State

Welcome. Will this be your first experience with Linux? If so, I can recommend some distros.

Thanks Bill, I am looking at all of them. Your thoughts will be very welcome.

Bob

ZorinOS if you want something that is very Windows like.

Ubuntu if you want something that is not Windows like, but still user friendly.

Linux Mint if you want something that is Windowish, but still new.

Fuduntu if you want something that looks more like Mac.

Thanks Bill, I have looked at all of those and still can't decide. I guess I will when I get my new machine and I have to make a choice.

The question I still have is about the dual installation. I want to install along side Windows 7 but I am not sure about using VBox. I have heard is slows down a machine and that's important to me.

Your thoughts on using a virtual machine as opposed to a straight dual install?

Bob

Paceway, VBox is great for trying new stuff out. I use it all the time. However, running two operating systems at the same time will reduce the amount of resources available for each. In other words, stuff like your memory, for example, is split between the two. You can allocate the amount of memory each gets, but neither gets the full amount.

Partitioning is not really very hard, especially on a blank hard drive. Will Win7 already be installed or will you be installing it? Either way, it is not very hard and we can talk you through it. I talked my son through the process the other day and he commented at the end about how it was not as difficult as he had expected.

Many distros come with a graphical partioning tool built into the live disk, such as gparted. I know that Ubuntu comes with it. My recommendation for you is to either set up several small partions and try out several distros to see which you like, or to make one Win7 partion and one Linux partion and try out several distros by installing over the last one.

Staff online

Members online