[HELP] newbie on linux

Discussion in 'General Linux' started by Crius, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Crius

Crius New Member

What is the best linux for my "ANCIENT" laptop, specifically an acer aspire 4315...that doesnt lag or whatsoever. I was thinking ill go to Ubuntu 12.04LTS or Linux Mint :|, if you guys could give me advice on what linux distro out there fits for my ANCIENT LAPTOP and a newbie like me, it will be appreciated so much... Thank you in advance :D

2. Rob

Rob Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, give ubuntu 12.04 a try.. worst case you try something else right? :) How much mem does it have?
  3. arochester

arochester Well-Known Member

Rob likes this.
  4. TuxBorg

TuxBorg New Member

Also PCLinuxOS could be a good idea especially in his lighter versions/flavours like LXDE or MATE ( http://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/ ).
    It's a distribution quite easy and intuitive but also aesthetically attractive.
    It's based on RPM but You can also use Synaptic........ ;)
  5. slashedzero

slashedzero New Member

My vote on perhaps the easiest to use would be Xubuntu . It's probably the easiest to get started with (LiveUSB install available too), there's tons of documentation, and Xfce has always run like a charm for me.

Then, when you feel comfortable, move on to something else that fits your needs/interests.
  6. DevynCJohnson

DevynCJohnson Well-Known Member Staff Member Staff Writer

If you are wanting any Linux distro in general and if Ubuntu will not work well on your system, then you may want to try Slackware or Puppy Linux.
    jadhav.sudeep likes this.
  7. Minty-Linux

Minty-Linux New Member

If you want a lightweight distro that is about 512mb .iso file, that runs LXDE, and is super fast...i suggest taking a look at Peppermint OS Four. This OS makes any computer screaming fast. It is Ubuntu related, so all your .deb packages and ppa's are compatible.
    DevynCJohnson likes this.
  8. jadhav.sudeep

jadhav.sudeep New Member

try opensuse i am working wit it on my p4 machine with damaed hdd
    DevynCJohnson likes this.
  9. Tux1342

Tux1342 New Member

I reccomend elementary os for new users on older hardware, if your going Ubuntu use xubuntu or lubuntu for old hardware.