how does linux work?

V

vrswesley

is it anything like windows? or totally different?Im a picture person... not sure i can learn a new operating sydstem if it doesnt work like windows....

Like Windows?

I believe what you are asking is, "Is the user interface similar enough to Windows that learning Linux will feel natural and easy to learn."

What tanveerhabib was saying was that Linux is superior as far as being a tight and secure computing platform. Not an answer to your question.

To answer what you're asking: Linux can have MANY different user interfaces. But the one that is the most popular right now looks VERY similar to Windows (Start button in bottom left corner. Window minimize/maximize/close in upper right corner of each window. Drag window to the left or right to half max).

That one is called: Linux Mint. Choose Cinnamon 64bit if you have a modern computer.

You can try out Ubuntu with out even downloading anything here. http://www.ubuntu.com/tour/en/

Keep in mind that Ubuntu uses the Unity desktop environment, which is very different from other Linux distros which are more Windows like. I like Ubuntu and would highly recommend it, though.

thankyou you are right that is the question i was trying to ask. I have just bought a google chomebook.. will it work will that? or should i not mess with what ever they have... if its exployeer i will have to change that. I havent had a new computer in so long.. I dont even know what out there.

and also any linux flavor is always very much secure than any other operating system

What about centos OS no one likes it? As every one is praising Ubuntu.

i now have 2 computers...I went for a google laptop-still cant figure out hoe to do letter writing on it. nore upload or down load..it chrashes alot but... comes back fast tooo..... its got a the chrome operating system and i do like it.just... dont like those parts of it...I still us my old desk top to print up load download, etc.doubt it would be good warentywise to change operating systems in the laptop but i could change my old desk top over as long as i could still print off it.. cant print off my laptop. no way to connect to my old printer to it. what do you think how do i do it without loses all my saved pice and documebts?..Id change it to linux.

and also any linux flavor is always very much secure than any other operating system

I Use CentOS for servers, Ubuntu for desktop. If you want nice, solid, stable servers in a 24x7x365 environment, CentOS, or RHEL. If you want a nice, usable, flexible desktop which can run 4 24" screens and function as a development environment, home theatre, multimedia studio and a lot more, go *buntu - and if you cannot live with the Unity window manager, try Mint linux, which is mostly the same but with a backward compatible windowing system. If you hate Win8, try it.

YMMV

Members online