1. IMPORTANT - 11/13/2015: In light of a possible breach we have scrubbed all passwords. You will need to request a password reset through the site. Click here for more information.

Hello all

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by David Wilson, Nov 14, 2011.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson New Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hi, I am new to Linux and I am finding it vary easy to use how ever there are so many different distros out there I am finding it hard to pick just one. case in point I like Ubutu but I find that I like the Gnome part of it better so now I am trying to pick just the right version to Gnome to run any one have any ideas? My lap top is hooked up to my tv and I use it for music , streaming and all round ent. system. Thanks Dave

2. Rob

Rob Administrator Staff Member

Oct 27, 2011

Welcome to LinuxForum - thanks for joining up!

Any of the newer Linux desktop distributions (Ubuntu, mint, fedora, etc..) will work well as a media station..

When you say that you like Gnome.. there's gnome2 and gnome3 (gnome-shell) currently being pre-installed on certian distributions..

Ubuntu 11.10 = unity
    Fedora 16 = Gnome3
    Mint 12 (out soon) = Gnome3 w/ an overlay they created which includes taskbar w/ menus, pager, etc..

I'm currently using F16 and am getting used to working w/o a taskbar/pager - though I miss them.

You can install any window manager you like on any of them though - gnome2, kde, windowmaker, enlightenment, etc...

Another choice is adding a taskbar-like app like tint2 to gnome-shell..

Anyway - you can't go wrong w/ any of them out there - it's all user preference :)