What are you using your single-boards for?

I use a raspberry Pi 3 with a monitor for notifications[1] via a custom RESTfull Web Server/Client :
[1] Notifications :
  • Cpu/RAm/HDD monitor for all servers used staging and production
  • Git hook with own git server
  • Redmine Notification
  • Rundesk Notification
  • Agenda with deadline by project
  • Wiki Notification
WebClient was made with React & Redux by me and coworker.
Server was made with multiple Ruby on Rails + python scripts. and server with Json call on silex micro-framework (lightweight Symfony).

All on the wall in agency :)
----------------

And another Pi3 in my home for retro-gaming :) with a simple retropie distro

I use a raspberry Pi 3 with a monitor for notifications[1] via a custom RESTfull Web Server/Client :
[1] Notifications :
  • Cpu/RAm/HDD monitor for all servers used staging and production
  • Git hook with own git server
  • Redmine Notification
  • Rundesk Notification
  • Agenda with deadline by project
  • Wiki Notification
WebClient was made with React & Redux by me and coworker.
Server was made with multiple Ruby on Rails + python scripts. and server with Json call on silex micro-framework (lightweight Symfony).

All on the wall in agency :)
----------------

And another Pi3 in my home for retro-gaming :) with a simple retropie distro
Cool! I've been looking at all the single boards out there, and the Pi has a lot of competition these days. For instance, have you checked out the Pine64+? There is also a single board with a 2 input O scope, and 2 output function generator built in. It has been configured as a Software Defined Radio (SDR) tranceiver for HF. That is way cool! It is called Red Pitaya. As you can imagine, it is a bit more expensive, but doable. Check it out.

Paul

Last edited:
I am using a Raspberry Pi-3B as a hardware/software development system. The dev is running under Raspian.

Paul, FWIW: I have loaded, both, Slackware 14.2/ARM and Slackware Current/ARM on Micro SD cards and swap them out with the Raspbian Micro SD card, to run Slackware on the RPi. It's a hoot!

I am using a Raspberry Pi-3B as a hardware/software development system. The dev is running under Raspian.

Paul, FWIW: I have loaded, both, Slackware 14.2/ARM and Slackware Current/ARM on Micro SD cards and swap them out with the Raspbian Micro SD card, to run Slackware on the RPi. It's a hoot!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

My two RPi's act as storage, analysis and display of data gathered via various Arduino style micro-controllers. l prefer to separate data acquisition from analysis and display. Micro-controllers are very good at data acquisition but limited when it comes to storage, analysis and display. Not saying they can't do it, just saying they are limited.

The RPi on the other hand is really very good at storage, analysis and display(or presentation if one prefers that nomenclature). It comes with my favorite language (Perl), and my favorite web server (apache2), as well as being able to handle mysql and sqlite3 for storage and analysis. While it is good at these things, it is limited from a data acquisition standpoint. Again, not that it can't do it, but it is not as good at it as the micro-controllers.

Between the two, I end up with the best of the micro-controller world and the SBC (linux) world. It is the combination of these specialized units that gives the best of both worlds at a price that is unbeatable and with flexibility that leaves on free to innovate.

Really good stuff from my point of view. The best of Linux and the best of the control and data acquisition worlds....

Are you talking about stripped down versions, or the full boat?

Are you talking about stripped down versions, or the full boat?
Full Slackware for ARM, both, current and 14.2 versions.
FWIW: I just ordered the new Raspberry Pi 3B+ (Yes, the new PLUS version), should be here on Tuesday and then I will run Slackware Current and 14.2 on it, just for fun.

I've been thinking about getting a RPi for years... finally took the plunge and got a 3B+ a couple of days ago (with kit containing breadboard, jumpers, LED's, etc). Super simple to set up and get running with Raspbian. No application plan for it yet, but it seems like a great little device. Maybe I'll take the opportunity to try a little programming... because I really suck at programming! :confused::D

Cheers

I've been thinking about getting a RPi for years... finally took the plunge and got a 3B+ a couple of days ago (with kit containing breadboard, jumpers, LED's, etc). Super simple to set up and get running with Raspbian. No application plan for it yet, but it seems like a great little device. Maybe I'll take the opportunity to try a little programming... because I really suck at programming! :confused::D

Cheers
Yeah, I was researching some parts yesterday on Newark, and saw the ads for it. Nice little board! They have packed a lot into it, and more with every version. Drooool!o_O

I now have a 4gb Pi 4. Among other things, I loaded the Boinc manager, so that it would run SETI at home when It was idle. I have been doing experiments, to see if it will function as a desktop. It came loaded with cromium as the web browser, but I prefer Firefox. I loaded firefox, and did not like the way it played videos on youtube (lots of delay in the video). I found that Firefox was fine for surfing etc, but, if I wish to play a video, I switch back to cromium. This gave me the idea of trying the same thing on my old Compaq Presario V5101US. I am running Xbuntu on it and the videos play slowly with Firefox. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, but it is on my bucket listo_O.

I use my raspberry pi 2 B as an multiplayer online game server running 5 armagetron advanced servers

running raspbian buster lite (no gui) headless via ssh, default 900mhz no overclocking

I was gonna ask what a single board computer was but then I found a description on wikipedia. Seeing the specs of an SBC called Raspberry 4, I can't imagine someone would actually pay to use it. What's worse, I can't even think of anything it could be used for. Other than a piece to put over your fireplace or use it as a paper weight... :rolleyes:

Raspi 3b+ - routerypi + self written web interface and file sharing
Raspi 4b - desktop use with arch linux arm
Raspi 3b+ - currently nothing

Seeing the specs of an SBC called Raspberry 4, I can't imagine someone would actually pay to use it
I have used my Pi4 for many things, watching videos, writing spreadsheets, reading magazines in PDF format. etc. It also will load and display a large tif file, for instance an aviation sectional chart, much faster than the intel dual core that is in my lab computer (Core 2 Duo E5800).:cool:

Hello

My main BananaPI (Lemaker one) is the master peace of my network :
  • standard network daemons (DHCP, DNS, ...)
  • hosts my Apache/PHP/PostgreSQL website (notez-bien : if is slowness is not due to the BananaPI but to my Internet provider which put a bad QoS on 80 port)
  • acts as a DNLA server for my smart TV as well as PCs for multimedia contents
  • monitor all my other machine using a home made monitoring tool, PHP and webservice based named Domestik
but it main duty is
  • head of my smart home automation using home made automation tools written in C / C++ / Lua and driven by MQTT messaging. You can see a French description on my site and tools can be found on my git.
Despite all these duties, its load is very low (less than 20%) letting space for others experiences.

Another BananaPI is used as a graphical dashboard, taking information from my MQTT network and displaying temperature, weather forcast, Internet health, automation status, and many more. Previous generation was based on DirectFB but I'm currently migrating to Cairo based framework.
Obviously, I would be happy if someone want's to join the game ;)

I got also a BananaPro, a LeMaker guitar (both provided by LeMaker for testing/promotion purposes) and an OrangePI which are currently unused.

All working Gentoo ... as my PC ;)

Tower Speaker, plug in or Bluetooth, cut the top off, replaced with plexi, then mounted a PI 3B+ upside down so all fits inside. Can plug into PS or a portable battery pack. My internet radio, usb drive music player. Running Voumio.

PI ZeroW, inside an M3 Lee tank die cast model running Kodi.

Still got some Zero's, 3B+'s, and a 3 Model A+. Deciding on some projects.

Members online