change mac address - reasonable?

E

emekadavid

can anyone tell me why anyone should want to change his mac address and what the consequences beyond networking or even within networking as respects future needs could be?

The changing/hiding/masking the mac address for privacy or privacy-like reasons is a completely meaningless hype; it really doesn't matter it won't protect your anonymity beyond who and where your card/device was made.

However there are actual reasons for spoofing though. For example if a wifi node has your original mac address blocked, you can spoof it to bypass the block. Or if a router responds to special mac address, you can spoof to be one of them.

The changing/hiding/masking the mac address for privacy or privacy-like reasons is a completely meaningless hype; it really doesn't matter it won't protect your anonymity beyond who and where your card/device was made.

However there are actual reasons for spoofing though. For example if a wifi node has your original mac address blocked, you can spoof it to bypass the block. Or if a router responds to special mac address, you can spoof to be one of them.
can this practice cause any problems with your firmware, assuming changing the mac is permanent or temporary, both cases.

I don't recommend changing it permanently as that will stir up confusion if and when it needs some type of maintenance.
And you have to change everything that is functionally bound to the address (ie white-listed mac address in a router).
Other than that, I am pretty sure changing will not break the functionality of the device whatsoever.

I don't recommend changing it permanently as that will stir up confusion if and when it needs some type of maintenance.
And you have to change everything that is functionally bound to the address (ie white-listed mac address in a router).
Other than that, I am pretty sure changing will not break the functionality of the device whatsoever.
your reply implies that the numerous posts on blogs about changing mac addresses to bypass router control lists are only a temporary measure.
thanks. I'm keeping it for the records.

Members online