Problem With Booting Into Ash Shell..... :3

blackneos940

Reaction score
Credits
Well hello everybody..... :3 Remember me....? I have returned from the Nether Regions, 'cuz I couldn't stay away from Linux.org..... :D Anywho, I have a question..... I keep booting into the Ash Shell, with the initramfs prompt..... I understand this is a pretty powerful Shell, but I want muh Ubuntu back..... :< It keeps happening every few Reboots/power-on's or so!..... :< So I know the problem isn't with the /boot Folder, most likely..... :( Every time I fix the bad Superblock with e2fsck, it happens AGAIN..... I also use Windows 10 and FreeBSD on the same Hard Drive..... But in light of the Windows 10 Creators Update, I'm seriously considering ditching Window$..... :\ How do I fix this problem.....? :) I'm running all these Operating Systems on a Dell Inspiron 15 7559, with an Nvidia Geforce GTX960M Graphics Card..... I use it for Minecraft Shaders, and, potentially, other games and making Programs that are Graphics intensive (ONE day...) Anywho, does anyone have any suggestions.....? :3 I followed guides to get this puppy up and running, and it's worked well so far, besides the Boot issue..... I can post my Grub File, if you want..... Have a good day, ok.....? :3

Last edited:
It's not booting me into FreeBSD, rather, it's booting into Ubuntu, and I tried doing that e2fsck thingy, but it keeps happening..... :< It should be fixed, but..... Maybe I should post my Grub configuration..... :3

If you have tried all of the solutions in the posts that Rob has shared and you still haven't fixed the problem, it might be worth checking the status of your HD's SMART data using smartctl (part of the smartmontools package).
e.g.
Code:
smartctl -H /dev/sdx
where x is the drive you want to check.

That should give you some information on the health of your HD. If the HD is on it's way out then corruption will be more of an issue as more and more blocks on the drive become unusable.

I might be completely off the mark, but it couldn't hurt to check!

If you have tried all of the solutions in the posts that Rob has shared and you still haven't fixed the problem, it might be worth checking the status of your HD's SMART data using smartctl (part of the smartmontools package).
e.g.
Code:
smartctl -H /dev/sdx

That should give you some information on the health of your HD. If the HD is on it's way out then corruption will be more of an issue as more and more blocks on the drive become unusable.

True..... :3 It WOULDN'T hurt to check..... :D I'll check into it, but I think I fixed the problem..... :) Basically, in this instance, on THIS Machine, Linux needed some extra time, so I had initrd sleep for about 10 seconds on each Boot, and now, it seems I solved my problem!..... :3 But again, I'll check into that..... :D Thanks for the Reply, good sir!..... :3 Also, it's nice to see you again..... :)

e.g.
Code:
smartctl -H /dev/sdx

Hey, I Pasted your Command, and it said that there was no such Device..... :) (Just so you know, Linux[Ubuntu] is on /dev/sda9)..... :) Anywho, I checked in Gnome-Disk-Utility, and it said muh Disk was fine!..... YAY!!..... :3

Great to hear!
Thanks buddy.....! :D Yeah, I keep Rebooting, Shutting Down and then turning on, selecting the Ubuntu Bootloader from UEFI, and it doesn't seem to be randomly happening anymore!.... :3 Like, EVER!..... :3

Staff online

Members online