Problem keeping connected in linux

L

larryorth

I have an hp touchsmart 310 running wireless internet. I have no trouble with my connection using windows. But I am multibooting with Prescision Ubuntu 12.04, Mint 14, and Fedora and all three of these distros scan and find my wireless router and connect right away but when I connect to the internet through any of several browsers they all will sooner or later lose connection with the server. My icon shows that I still have a connection but service to the internet will drop. I have been working with this problem for days now. I will unload and try a fresh install but I keep having the same problem. Is linux providing a driver but not the best one. Windows works fine, linux does not. If this is a known issue with my Touchsmart, I would love to know what it is. I believe the minicard is Ralink 802 n.

So I get a connection to the wireless router, but linux keeps dropping the signal. Help!!
Thanks in advance

How many devices do you have conecting to the internet? Your provider may limit you. Yes they can do that. If Junior is downloading massive music files or doing his home work, the data pipe gets smaller and smaller. Could be the wireless router is the problem. The position of the router to the device. Wooden studs or metal studs in your walls? Other signals in your air space. Cell phones, TV's, stereo's, even coffee pots? Or do you have a farmer near you who runs an electric fence? Doggie fence? Or even a air port which has radar. Those are the variables. Turn every thing you can off. Test signal to laptop with the icon and see if the signal is full on or not and whether it stays. Add devices until it cuts out. Do this for each of the systems. If you have an android phone a couple of tools I use is FING and WIFI Analizer. Thats two excellent places to start. The for will tell you how many devices you have on the network, and the Later will tell you signal strength. By the way, beacons from the wifi devices are only momentary, they increase and decrease. So don't just watch a second do it over a long period of 5 or so minutes.

Members online