Fighting Spam..Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by ryanvade, Dec 9, 2013.

1. |)/-\|)

|)/-\|) Member

If it could be done (and I'm sure there is an IQ, sadly not mine, out there who could do it) then what would be the moral/ethical implications of doing it? It would be a power not unlike the results of the Manhatan Project to hold or release.

"Talk among yourselves, I'm feeling a little verklempt!"

2. DevynCJohnson

DevynCJohnson Well-Known Member Staff Member Staff Writer

Ideas from everyone and anyone are welcome and enjoyed. Feel at home on this awesome form. :cool: This is the best forum ever.

What do you mean about "ethical implications"?
    Haider92 likes this.
  3. |)/-\|)

|)/-\|) Member

In my mind the ethical question (on an anti-spam search and destroy bot) would be "Does anyone have the right to shut anyone else down because we don't like (insert any reason here) their method of contacting large groups of people?". What are our rights and duties as i-net users?

I don't like the small amount of unsolicited (I actually like SPAM(tm) with my eggs when I'm roughing it!) e-mail and I won't open it (the implication for this board is orders of magnitude greater than 1 mailbox), but does that give me the right to backtrace the spamer and kill the origin with pings (at a minimum)?

Internet ethics aren't discussed much (because of business? anarchists? average users? personal freedom?) anymore, but my personal opinion is that no one should have to defend themselves from intrusion or worse, invasion, on the internet just because you have a fleeting presence there.

Should we be Chivalrous or Barbaric? And technically,, wouldn't a defensive search and destroy bot be little more than a worm (virus), possibly with unintended consequences?

But I say "Kill 'em, kill 'em all" ;)
    DevynCJohnson likes this.
  4. Cyber-Berserker

Cyber-Berserker Active Member

When registering on the board, it is clearly stated that spamming (unwanted solicitation) is not allowed. In the real world, if the owners of an office or residential building declare that uninvited solicitation is not allowed, solicitors that enter the premises anyway and bother the occupants by trying to sell something can be arrested. Why should a board like this one be any different? It is a private club where members interact. The interaction is public, but in order to participate, one must join the club and agree to the rules of membership. One of the rules is no solicitation (spamming). Spammers have it easy, because unlike the real world, they cannot be arrested, fined and/or incarcerated.
    DevynCJohnson and |)/-\|) like this.
  5. |)/-\|)

|)/-\|) Member

I completely agree with you.

The ultimate question is what to do about attacks (and I look at spam as an attack). Do you put up another barrier to entry (which is what sys admin will have to do) or do you go after (my preference) the perpetrators with the intent of shutting them down?

Then again, spammers and their ilk do provide people fighting them with jobs (or at least work)...
  6. Archonsg

Archonsg Member

Best anti spammer tool is a Barret .50 cal M82
    DevynCJohnson, ZZs and |)/-\|) like this.
  7. |)/-\|)

|)/-\|) Member

Amen!
  8. Cyber-Berserker

Cyber-Berserker Active Member

Yes, the best course of action is to go after them and eliminate them. The problem though is not ethical, but legal. In a state-level society the government, whether it be a parliament, monarch, aristocratic assembly, whatever, has the exclusive right to the use of force. It is a right they jealously guard. If we hunt down and exterminate the spammers, the authorities would regard us as vigilantes and consider us a bigger danger than the spammers, because we "take the law into our own hands." As opposed to the hands of governments. To make the matter a really big mess, spamming operations are international in scope, and therefore, going after them would run us afoul of several governments and their law enforcing arms. The result would be one or more governments somewhere shutting down the board, while the spammers joyfully continue annoying the hell out of everyone. Welcome to the brave new world made safe for McGag'nPuke, Coca Cola and Microsoft, while subversives patronising local businesses and using open source operating systems are targets of the authorities.

Slightly exaggerated, but it would not be a rant otherwise.:)
    DevynCJohnson and |)/-\|) like this.
  9. |)/-\|)

|)/-\|) Member

I apologize to everyone for taking this discussion away from it's original intent, it started as an info/tech post. Maybe we should start a rant / flame group.:rolleyes:
  10. ainteinstein

ainteinstein Member

That's okay, |)/-\|), do hope I spelled your name correctly. As when we talk in person, a conversation can take many a turn but it does get back on track. What this "detour" showed is that spammers are not welcomed here, and I agree. The one thing that really irks me with spammers is that they post solutions to a problem that are incorrect and I have seen desperate newbies follow the advice. Grrrr...

You have my vote to Ban the Spammer!
    |)/-\|) likes this.
  11. |)/-\|)

|)/-\|) Member

Perfect spelling (Dad gets taken alot, son came up with it. Shows how un-artistic I am)
  12. yado22

yado22 New Member

well done nice