Dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Linux News' started by Fred, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Fred

Fred New Member

You need Windows for a program you use for work, your favorite game runs only on Windows or you are a developer that works on some cross-platform project. And of course, you can't even think about giving up your favorite OS. Whatever the reason, you need Windows and a virtual machine won't cut it so all you're left with, if you don't have a spare machine, is dual-boot. I usually recommend against multiple-boot machines, but I can't argue with the fact that here are situations when the idea is very useful. So this is what this article is about: making sure you need a dual-boot system, acknowledging the requirements, making backups if need be and proceed.

More...
  2. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Member

That's very useful information for anyone using Windows 7. I used to have a dual boot pc with Windows XP and Ubuntu. Are there any actual advantages of using Windows 7 instead of Windows XP?
  3. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius New Member

Windows 7 boots faster than XP for me, it's stabler, more productive, and very fast. I'd recommend switching to Windows 7 as soon as possible.
  4. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Member

I suppose Windows 7 would need more resources to run efficiently. What's the optimum specs for a Windows 7 installation?
  5. lucasbytegenius

Depends on the stuff you do. For general purpose stuff I would recommend around 1 GB - 2 GB of RAM, which is pretty standard these days, and for a CPU I'd recommend 2 GHz.
  6. Remp

Remp New Member

Guys, Windows XP's time is over. No one should use it anymore, Windows 7 is much better. I'm still against windows, but if I have to say something to use to Dual-boot with, I'd say Windows 7. It's much faster, maybe you need a bit more resources to run, but that's not a big deal if you have an average or better computer.
  7. lucasbytegenius

Unfortunately for me Windows 7 is actually slower on my computer, sad to say. So that's why I use Windows XP :p

I'll be building a new computer once I have the money and then turning my back on XP forever.
  8. Remp

Remp New Member

Yeah, it's indeed a bit slow on odler computers... :S That's because it's memory eating features, but you can make it a bit faster by disabling those "factory-sealed" features, here is a good article on disabling them: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-7-beta,7208.html

There are also other good tips on making it run faster and less memory eater, just search it if I made you interested. :)
  9. lucasbytegenius

Unfortunately I think my issue lies with my crappy GPU, not the RAM. I usually idle with about 1.5 GB of my 2.5 GB free so I don't think it's an issue. My GPU however is an integrated GeForce 6100 and it really sucks.
  10. Remp

Remp New Member

Hmm.. I think your problem is the Aero Interface. Next time you try Windows 7 try installing the Starter version, or after you've installed it, just disable the Aero interface. It's going to be a lot faster, Aero is a GPU killer.. :)
  11. lucasbytegenius

I have Ultimate, and yes, I have disabled the Aero interface. It used to be fine before my dedicated GPU died. I plan to replace it soon.
    However, even with Aero disabled, XP is still noticeably faster than 7 for me right now.