Distro - Linux Mint

Discussion in 'Beginner Tutorials' started by Rob, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Rob

Rob Administrator Staff Member

The purpose of Linux Mint is to produce a modern, elegant and comfortable operating system which is both powerful and easy to use.

Started in 2006, Linux Mint is now the 4th most widely used home operating system behind Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac OS and Canonical's Ubuntu.

Some of the reasons for the success of Linux Mint are:
    • It works out of the box, with full multimedia support and is extremely easy to use.
    • It's both free of cost and open source.
    • It's community-driven.
    • Users are encouraged to send feedback to the project so that their ideas can be used to improve Linux Mint.
    • Based on Debian and Ubuntu, it provides about 30,000 packages and one of the best software managers.It's safe and reliable.
    Thanks to a conservative approach to software updates, a unique Update Manager and the robustness of its Linux architecture, Linux Mint requires very little maintenance (no regressions, no antivirus, no anti-spyware...etc).
    Please visit: linuxmint.com
    sudlin, DevynCJohnson and Primit1v3 like this.
  2. Kovax

Kovax Member

I have always been a Fedora\Red Hat guy but I may have to give Linux Mint a try. I also really like CentOS.

Thanks
    Hammerhead71 likes this.
  3. jsina

jsina New Member

hi,
    Can I install Mint alongside ubuntu:
  4. Tony B

Tony B New Member

@jsina: I see nobody has posted a reply to your question - yes you can install LinuxMint alongside Ubuntu.
    Last time I looked, I found Mint's step-by-step instructions very easy to follow.
    Good luck.
    JOSEPHINE SENAM ANYAH likes this.
  5. yassine

yassine New Member

so for the backtrack is it use full ?
  6. ZHANG/ZHIKUN

ZHANG/ZHIKUN New Member

I like debian more. Is there any new things to expect more than gnome in mint?
  7. Eddie G.

Eddie G. New Member

I've toyed with Linux Mint quite a bit, as a matter of fact, when my Mom's old Dell laptop was "blue-screening" running WIndows XP, I installed this for her, and she's been using it ever since! She started with release version 15...and now they're up to 17!.....she finds using it easier than Windows!! And when you toss in the LibreOffice suite and the ability for her to save her college papers in Word formet, along with not having to pay licensig fees for Microsoft Office?...she's all set! Once again I have t tip my hat to the developers of these distros, they don't know how much they're really appreciated by the masses! here's to decades worth of releases with Linux Mint!