Debian not booting from CD

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by gordontate, Apr 7, 2013.

1. gordontate

gordontate New Member

I am new to Linux so please bear with me. I burned a (small) CD from which to boot a Debian O/S and altered the BIOS to select the DVD/CD for start up. Each time I tried, however, my laptop (a Compaq Presario CQ56 ) booted up Windows 7. The ISO file I downloaded and burned to disk was amd64 as the laptop runs on an amd 64bit processor. Could anyone suggest what might be the problem? I should explain that I wish to try a Linux O/S out of interest at this time and I am not too keen on having two operating systems on the hard disk until I have had experience with Linux. Thank you.

2. arochester

arochester Well-Known Member

What Debian version did you download and from where? Many of the Debian versions are for install and are not LiveCDs.

Do you know that it was a good burn? A common mistake among noobies is to simply copy the ISO to the CD. No, burning an iso is a special operation to create a bootable Linux disk. Look at the CD through Windows 7. Does it have many files or just a few?

A good guide to burning an ISO is here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
  3. mickeyliv

mickeyliv New Member

yeah I remember making that boo boo once.. I know you have to use power iso, or that's what I used to burn the iso file on the disc.. good luck!!
  4. gordontate

gordontate New Member

Thanks for your interest. The file I am trying to use is named<debian-6.0.7-amd64-netinst.iso> which is about 166MB. I downloaded it from a debian introduction/instruction site. I thought I had done a proper burn but maybe not. I noticed that the file does not open unless I use a procedure referred to as 'Mount'. I will try again with a new CD. I have a CD burn program called Burnaware as well as the usual Windows 7 burn facility. I noticed that the Burnaware program gives options of making an ISO disk or a Bootable ISO. If I use Burnaware should I go for the Bootable ISO or the plain ISO option.
  5. arochester

Don't really know BurnAware. You might look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwlwDJQ28jI

Another common problem among noobies is "to make a bootable disk". The danger there is that it makes a DOS bootable section. That is not what you want. You want to burn an iso which makes a Linux bootable section.
  6. Jait Jacob

Jait Jacob New Member Staff Writer

You should go for Bootable ISO option.
  7. gordontate

gordontate New Member

I went for the bootable ISO option and in fact, on the 2nd attempt I nearly got there I think but I got cold feet and bought a bootable ISO disk on ebay for Linux Mint 14. It cost me very little, £1.20 in fact. However, once again I have come unstuck in trying to find an easy to understand description of how to partition the hard drive for dual booting. I expect I will get there in the end but believe me many of the articals I have read on Linux websites regarding disk partitioning are quite difficult to follow. At this stage I don't want a technical explanation of ins and outs of partitioning. I just want a simple step by step guide giving the essential moves to get Linux up and running. Desirable improvements can come after I find my way around the new operating system I would hope.
    Regards to all.
  8. Adalee

Adalee New Member

I had a similar problem with an old laptop with amd64 when I was trying to boot Ubuntu. The CD worked correctly on newer laptop (with intel processor, I am not sure witch one), so the bug wasn't in the CD. Both times I picked CD/DVD boot option, but it worked only on the new laptop, the older one wasn't able to detect it, even if I was able to see the CD in windows.
    I ended up with making a bootable USB stick and it worked.
    I was wondering if there could be any problem with older amd processors (or generally with laptops) which aren't able to detect linux? Or is this just a coincidence?
  9. gordontate

gordontate New Member

I am fairly sure the problem was of my own making and not the laptops. I was probably not taking all the necessary steps for fear of messing up the boot system.
  10. torva

torva New Member

ok....I have an acer netbook ao725-0687 64bit windoz 8. I've been to a number of forums and tried many times to get into the bios to disable the wonderful UEFI(EFI) garbage so I can install some form of Linux! sadly, this micro beast will not let me change anything in the bios except maybe the boot device(hard drive or usb).
    what I need to find out is this....which is my best option of Linux distros to install that will install without much problems? should I try the ISO(usb or dvd) or should I go with the wubi(?) in short....HELP! lol
  11. arochester

1) Please don't hijack somebody else's thread by tagging on at the end. It is not good forum etiquette. You should start a new thread about your own particular problem.

2) Have you seen http://www.alexkidd.altervista.org/alien/AO725_Debianized/index.html ?
    It talks about: "A LiveCD/USB image of a recent version of Kubuntu seems to boot also on UEFI. The BIOS InsydeH2O allows to boot in legacy mode " ...and flashing the BIOS to get a new version...