1. IMPORTANT - 11/13/2015: In light of a possible breach we have scrubbed all passwords. You will need to request a password reset through the site. Click here for more information.

Debian Linux Install

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Jblanda, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Jblanda

Jblanda New Member

Nov 11, 2013
    i want to keep windows 7 on my PC with Debian as a second boot option, i have 2 partitions, one for windows and one for Linux. When i get to setting up the Partitions i hit manual and i am not sure what to set my partition as instead of "Do Not Use" Please help!

2. Harikrishnan R

Harikrishnan R Member

Nov 12, 2013
    I assume that you are talking about the file system.
    You need to choose the "Ext4 Journaling File System" for best results.
    I suggest you also use swap area and allot about 1 GB.
  3. pane-free

pane-free Active Member

Feb 17, 2012
    If partitions were defined using a MS-based utility, it is suggested that a linux app, gparted ( http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ ), be used for partitioning. It is integrated into the installer of Debian. When installing the distro and receiving the don't use message, choose -- yes, use it; then format it as Harikrishnan R instructed, to ext4.

It may be easier to first define the swap partition as 1 to 2 gigs then use the remainder for Debian install, formatting it to ext4 and it thus being recognized in the linux file system as /dev/sda3, the swap being sda2. Then you may let GRUB2 install in the MBR.

Best wishes!