Data recovery

Discussion in 'General Linux' started by sean536, Feb 15, 2014.

1. sean536

sean536 New Member

I would like to ask if it is possible to recover lost data in a SDHC memory card. During installation of Linux OS this card was plugged in and was chosen by mistake as a location for installation. The option 'install alongside with current OS' was chosen and somehow this card was there as a default installation directory. At the next step the system distributes disc space between what is needed for the OS and existing data on a partition, where you can adjust it with a slide divider. I didnt adjust the ratio and pressed ok, and the OS was installed there. The card was originally formatted in fat32, had volume 16Gb, of which 1 Gb was filled with photos; the OS needed about 4 Gb. It could no longer be read in windows, because during installation it was formated in ext2 Linux format. When I opened it in Linux there were only Linux files and no original partition. I hoped I would find it there. Could anyone tell me what has happened and whether there is any chance to restore the lost images?

2. ryanvade

ryanvade Administrator Staff Member Staff Writer

There are a couple of Windows based tools that can recover pictures/videos from SD cards. Not sure how well it will work though since the card now has a different file table.
  3. sean536

sean536 New Member

Tried some recovery programs on windows. Some images were restored, some of which were corrupted, but it was unable to recover the bigger part . Does it mean the card was overwritten?
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014