1. IMPORTANT - 11/13/2015: In light of a possible breach we have scrubbed all passwords. You will need to request a password reset through the site. Click here for more information.

Copy/Paste between multiple command lines

Discussion in 'Command Line' started by Calin Tamaian, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Calin Tamaian

Calin Tamaian New Member

Oct 2, 2013

I am relative new to Linux and I have 2 scenarios that i cannot figure out:

.1. I have 2 window command lines open. I want to be able to execute command in one window and export the command history to the second window.

Reason: sometimes I have to execute very long commands that need to be executed in parallel with a slightly different option. So far I used copy/paste from mouse. Is there any way to do it with only keyboard?

.2. I have 2 scripts opened in 2 different command lines.I want to be able to copy paste between them without using mouse (I use vim editor). If I yank one line I can paste it in the same file but not in the other
    file, opened in the other window.

Reason: sometimes I debug and I have 4-5 command windows opened and it would be helpful to edit "on-the-go" and not use mouse for copy/paste. I installed the Yankring plugin (vim) but for this purpose it doesn't help (or I haven't figured it out)

If anyone has any idea please share.

Thank you in advance!
    DevynCJohnson and ryanvade like this.
  2. ryanvade

ryanvade Administrator Staff Member Staff Writer

Aug 4, 2012

KenJackson Active Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Install the xclip package. I have this in my universal .bashrc file that I use on a wide variety of platforms:
    if [ -n "$(type -P xclip)" ]; then
      test -z "$(type -P putclip)"  && \
      alias putclip="$(type -P xclip) -sel clip -i"
      test -z "$(type -P getclip)"  && \
      alias getclip="$(type -P xclip) -sel clip -o"
      alias xclip='xclip -sel clip'
    This gives me commands getclip and putclip (which are native to Cygwin, so I check).

Then if I type a long long line, I hit up arrow to retrieve it, CTRL-A to get to the start,
    add echo " in front of it, CTRL-E to move the cursor to the end, and add " | putclip at the end and execute again. And voila! It's in the clipboard for pasting.