Console based audio player

Discussion in 'Linux Audio / Video' started by Arakis, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Arakis

Arakis New Member

Hello,
    i have two problems but the first is solved:
    - my embedded hardware makes noise, when a song starts /ends (audio device will be grabbed, ungrabbed). This is a hardware problem. The solution is: Using pulseaudio, and disable idle-mode.

- playing sound from console works fine, but on the (slow) hardware, it takes up to 2 seconds, untill "paplay" is started and the sound begins to play.

The only solution can be a console player application, that's controllable via textinput textoutput from an parent process, while it's running (not at startup).
    This means, i start the child process from the main process. When the main process needs a sound, it simply writes "play" or something else into the stdinput of the child process and the player should play instantly.

Is there a console player application, that's controllable via stdinput? Because i'm using Mono/C#, i can't use C++ libraries directly (it would be very complicated).

Greetings,
    Sebastian

2. old_bolvan

old_bolvan New Member

3. arochester

arochester Well-Known Member

4. Arakis

Arakis New Member

Thank you for the replies. My decision went to cmus. I can fully controll it via stdin-stream (because no control keys are needed).

Greetings,
    Sebastian