Command Line easter eggs

Discussion in 'Command Line' started by Remp, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Remp

Remp New Member

Hi guys I thought I will open a thread for easter eggs in the command line :) I've read about this somewhere, and I think I'll share this with you guys:

Open terminal, then write:

apt-get moo

And tell me what did you see :) After, you can try:

cowsay 'your text here'

If someone knows any other easter eggs, (I'm sure there are plenty of them) share it with us!
  2. wjack2010

wjack2010 New Member

Hmm, what do they do exactly? And I'll type them in when my Linux VPS has finished installing a package, as it won't let me do it at the moment should be <2 hours.
  3. Remp

Remp New Member

Haha, I won't tell you :) It's a surprise :p By the way, you can do it right now, you can keep two terminals open at once... At least I think...
  4. wjack2010

wjack2010 New Member

Nah it won't let me run multiple commands at the moment, it's running a ton of processes at once, and surprisingly it's taking longer than expected, but oh well I can wait.
  5. DaReaper

DaReaper New Member

Haha the it's the Super Cow! :p, i loved doing that on my Maemo device xD

I found this one online -

ddate is a discordian date format.
  6. DarthVader3257

DarthVader3257 New Member

Haha, that's pretty cool! I found some Easter eggs in the Windows command prompt, but they aren't too impressive. I usually don't use too much of the command prompt anyways, so that might be the reason too.
  7. calvinandhobbes

calvinandhobbes New Member

That is awesome. I love easter eggs :). I will go do some easter egg hunting right now! Which is fitting since it is officialy easter haha. But yeah it is always cool to come across these things :p
  8. Pandorical

Pandorical New Member

Happy Easter everyone! :D DaReaper - that's a cool easter egg you found, you too Remp.
  9. icebirdro

icebirdro New Member

Hey thanks for the 'moo' one! I've been searching for that specific command for some time, I saw it in a screenshot a while ago and I liked it a lot.

P.S. Oh... a friend told me this and it's awesome: try 'figlet LinuxForum' and see what it shows up :)
  10. Remp

Remp New Member

I'm glad you guys like these :) Happy Easter for you guys too! :)
    The figlet one is awesome, thanks for showing this :O Beware Facebook.... :p
  11. scotty

scotty New Member

Wow I love this! Never tried it before, but I am glad to see developers taking some fun in their work!
  12. Remp

Remp New Member

LOL, I just found this on the net, open the terminal or the command prompt on Windows, and type: telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

Pretty good, huh? :D You can watch the entire episode, by the way.
  13. KenJackson

KenJackson Active Member

Open a terminal? I don't have to open a terminal. I ALWAYS have multiple up and ready.

Since I use Fedora, I fully expected to see "bash: apt-get: command not found". But I forgot that I installed the "apt" RPM package a while back. I've never experimented to see if it works, but your moo subcommand output was suitably surprising. Though the other one did not disappoint: "bash: cowsay: command not found".
  14. DaReaper

DaReaper New Member

OMG i still remember this one, it's an old telnet ASCII animation of Star Wars, it's pure awesomeness.

You can basically do this even on the windows command prompt, that's where i viewed it on.
  15. fieldtrip

fieldtrip New Member

lolz

how about fortune cookie <install fortune>... fortune | cowsay.... fortune | cowsay -f tux.....

cheers ^_^