Can't upload .sql file into phpmyadmin

Discussion in 'Database' started by wpcoach, Mar 8, 2012.

1. wpcoach

wpcoach New Member

Hello,

I am a newbie to linux - we recently upgraded our hosting to VPS ( Cpanel ) and I've been moving all of our sites onto the new server. One problem I've ran into, while trying to import one database backup - the file size = 54MB however max upload limit of phpmyadmin = 50MiB.

I found a forum that said I could increase the max upload limit by ssh into the server, then changing the php.ini - however I get Access Denied.

I have WHM access, and I've found the PHP Configuration Editor - but I don't know what I should adjust ( or if I can from here ).

Any help will be a huge value for me - for anyone that decides to assist me, please be advised that I am a total newbie so detailed explanations will help a lot.

Thanks,
  2. Akendo

Akendo New Member

When you can ssh to the VM, why not just scp/rsync the dump to it? I'm not sure, but phpmyadmin should also able compressed sql files. Just try to compress the sql with gz/bz2 and then upload.
    Else you can try outside of the phpmyadmin: copy your file to the server and import it form the shell.

When you need more help, feel free to ask.

so far
    akendo
  3. Rob

Rob Administrator Staff Member

Hey there wpcoach - welcome to Linux Forum! :)

I've had bad experience editing the php.ini from within whm where it will add digits to your values.. not sure what had caused it though.. it may have been a special situation. Unlike some other things within whm, it does actually read the live php.ini file and show you the values in the GUI instead of pulling it from a database somewhere.. that's a good thing..

Anyway - the value you want to edit is "upload_max_filesize".

If editing within whm, you want to put 'php' in your search box in the top/left, then click on 'PHP configuration editor'. It will show you some values in standard mode but you want to go to 'advanced mode'. Scroll down until you see the upload_max_filesize and change the value to what you need. Click save and restart apache and try again :)

If I were you though, I'd figure out why you can't ssh in and edit it by hand though :)

Let me know if you need help w/ that..

Rob
  4. diegosuse

diegosuse New Member

Bad idea to change the .ini file, it s a pain in the ass. By default phpmyadmin runs on 2 mb for import sql files. My recom. 2 ways. Use the shell ( use mysql -u user -p databasename < file.sql ) or install the mysql workbrench. Goes fine if you want to use a gui. Hope helps
  5. mavankhang

mavankhang New Member

When you can ssh to the VM, why not just scp/rsync the dump to it? I'm not sure, but phpmyadmin should also able compressed sql files. Just try to compress the sql with gz/bz2 and then upload.
  6. ryanvade

ryanvade Administrator Staff Member Staff Writer

Please do not reopen old threads.