1. IMPORTANT - 11/13/2015: In light of a possible breach we have scrubbed all passwords. You will need to request a password reset through the site. Click here for more information.

Can't get GRUB built from source to work

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by tclark1148, Nov 20, 2012.

1. tclark1148

tclark1148 New Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Hi, I am new to the forum, but am a software professional with many, many years of experience. I have been trying to build and run grub legacy from source code (the latest package from ubuntu, 097-29ubuntu66) for use on an ext4 partition. Using grub legacy and building it from source is a requirement for my project - I can't use the binary dist nor use grub2.

After not having any success, I did some googling. I noticed that there was a patch to support ext4. I checked the binary dist's build log and noticed 2 things:
    1) It applies a whole bunch of patches (not just ext4), and
    2) It links with libvolume_id

I've checked all the package dependencies, and they seem fine. I applied the patches (although my 00list does not include the last 3, cache-coherency.diff, objcopy-absolute.diff and no-reorder-function.diff). I also had to revert the varargs.diff patch, since I got a compile error (stdarg.h not found). I build with ./configure OBJCOPY="objcopy -R .comment.SUSE.OPTs -R .note.gnu.build-id" to overcome the objcopy problem. Everything builds fine, but it does not build or link with libvolume_id. I've tried some minor messing with the Makefiles, but I can't get it to build or link with libvolume_id.

I know how to install/reinstall grub, but when I install the built version it just reboots - no msg, no output at all, just an immediate reboot (to rescue disk). When I revert to the same version of the binary dist, everything boots fine. I also did a binary compare of my built stage1 and the binary dist stage1, they are byte identical, so I assume the problem is with stage2. I am guessing the issue is the lack of libvolume_id, but I don't know. I also don't understand why configure/make wouldn't recognize this was a needed component, if indeed it is.

This is extremely frustrating. Can someone enlighten me as to what I am missing?