Connecting with USB adapter from live cd

M

Mister Fox

I am running a live disc of the Zorin OS distro. I would like to install it from the CD, but it says I should connect to the internet to get the best results. I bought a Netgear USB network adapter to get wifi from my router, but it came with a software install disc that I need to use before the adapter will work. This is the problem. I can't remove the live disc to put in the install disc because if I remove the live disc the operating system will crash. I'm not sure what to do here...
{note- obviously I am typing this from a different computer}

Try installing it without a network conncetion. Also, many USB Wifi adapters are supported natively. Have you tried to use it?

Does the CD say it has Linux drivers?

I haven't tried to use it, and the cd didn't say anything about linux drivers (I was gonna use WINE and wing it).

And I tried to install it but the disk partitioning part kinda scared me. I don't want to allocate all of my hard drive to this OS, I'm getting Windows next week.

If you want to keep Zorin along with Windows, you will need to partion. It is not very hard and since you don't have a working operating system, you really have nothing to loose.

Zorin probably comes with a program called GParted. Use it to make at least two partions. Make the partitions any size you want, but I would reccomend at least 50GB for Zorin.

On the other hand, if you only want to have Windows on your computer, then just install Zorin using the whole drive and when you get Windows, it will just install over Zorin.

OK, Zorin is installed, but the CD did not come with any drivers for linux. All I need is a working .inf driver for the following product- Netgear WNDA3100 Wireless USB Adapter. I have looked everywhere but I can't seem to find any. Does anyone know anywhere else I can look?

If the Zorin repository has ndiswrapper, which they should since it essentially the Ubuntu repository, then use it along with the Windows driver that is on the disk.

I am not real familiar with Zorin, but you should be able to click the Start button and select "Software Center" or something like that. Then do a search for ndiswrapper.

BTW, did you decide to partion your drive?

OK, I got the driver loaded, but when I plug in the USB adapter I get a black screen with a lot of text that keeps mentioning ndiswrapper. I have to restart my computer to do anything else.

Members online