What is Linux?

M

magicman

I'm so new to this stuff.

I know this is a noob question, I tried Google but no success.

What is Linux, (dumb it down).

Thanks.

Google on the word linuxlowdown. The first link that shows up is a site with some good basic information about Linux, written in simple terms. It also lets you respond to some questions in an attempt to give you some unbiased perspective about whether Linux might be a good option for you. Enjoy!

Linux is just another operating system. However, other than Red Hat and a few other commercial distributions, it's completely free and open source. It's very scalable, lightweight, and used very, very commonly for server applications.

I'm so new to this stuff.

I know this is a noob question, I tried Google but no success.

What is Linux, (dumb it down).

Thanks.
Lol, I guess you came to the wrong forum. Everyone here is at least expected to know what Linux is...

I'll try to dumb it down a little for you.

A Linux distribution is an operating system, like Windows or OS X are. An operating system is basically software that lets a computer be useful to a person. Without an operating system, a computer is little more than just taking up room on your desk.

Linux itself, however, is not an operating system. Linux is a kernel, and you can think of that as maybe a conductor in an orchestra. Without someone directing all of the instruments, they can not work in harmony and would just make noise. The same is true for a computer. You have a lot of different individual pieces of hardware in the computer. You also have software running on the computer and the software needs to interact with the hardware. So, the kernel makes sure that all of the software and all of the hardware can all communicate with each other in a coherent way. Things "talk" when it is their turn to talk and stay quiet when it is not their turn.

The kernel by itself is not very useful for you. You need software to make the computer useful. So, if you take a kernel and combine it with a lot of software, you end up with an operating system, such as a Linux distribution like Ubuntu or Fedora.

Some might say I dumbed this down way too much, but I was trying to put things in terms that would make sense to someone new to the workings of a computer.

Id listen to the above poster cuz he's really gotten me out of a few jams lol. Im noob myself but from what I gather linux is another OS that is easy to use ( for some :p) and apparently virus free, like a mac. Ive been using it for a week and I have to admit its pretty good. It just takes time to get used to.

Linux is just another operating system. However, other than Red Hat and a few other commercial distributions, it's completely free and open source. It's very scalable, lightweight, and used very, very commonly for server applications.

+1 , you brought up a very good point :)...

There are 3 Operating Systems for PC's.

Linux

Microsoft Windows

Mac OS

Microsoft is for Windows Computers.

Mac OS is for Apple Computers.

And Linux can be run on any computers.

There are many different (flavors) of Linux.

There are Fedora based and Debian based versions of Linux.

There are many Fedora based versions of Linux.

There are many Debian based versions of Linux.

Oh and there are Android Operating Systems.

Android is a flavor of Linux but it is used for smartphones.

There are Mac OS operating systems for iphones, ipads, and ipods too.