Basic forum courtesy: Rules to follow for all forum users.

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by ryanvade, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanvade

ryanvade Administrator Staff Member Staff Writer

Okay, I am not an admin. So, if anyone higher up thinks these rules need tweaking just say so.

These rules are going to be placed here for everyone to read. Please abide by them or risk the wrath of site moderators and admins.

1. SPAM IS NOT ALLOWED. NO EXCEPTIONS. I WILL BAN ANY SPAMMER WITHOUT WARNING. I will, however, give the user an email saying that I banned him/her for spamming. The user can respond back if he/she feels that the post in question was not spam.

2. HIJACKING THREADS IS NOT ALLOWED. So, if you do not know what hijacking a thread means:
    Hijacking a thread is when a user or users ask a question about a different topic or a similar topic on someone elses thread/topic.

If someone has started a topic about unicorns other users cannnot ask questions about dragons at the bottom of that thread/topic. Please start another thread/topic.

3. ASKING QUESTIONS ON A USERS "PROFILE PAGE" IS NOT ALLOWED. Very simple, some users have told me that they received requests for help about problems on their profile page "update" page. This is not the place for these question. The forums is where help will be provided.

4. PRIVATE MESSAGES ARE NOT FOR ASKING FOR HELP. Again, this is not the place to ask for help. Please use the forums.

5. CURSING IS NOT ALLOWED. No cursing, no "almost" cursing. I have made the mistake of saying a word that others thought was a curse. Later I apologized extensively and was willing to ban myself. The mods/admins of that forum were thankful for my apology and spared me. I learned my lesson. Please just be nice.

6. BE NICE TO OTHER USERS. Very simple. Be nice. Treat others the way you want to be treated.

7. BE NICE TO ADMINISTRATORS AND ADMINS. Seriously. We are not paid to give support. We are not rewarded at all really. I cannot speak for anyone else but giving help to anyone who asks is what I do in my free time. For the fun of it. So be nice.

8. NO INAPPROPRIATE PICTURES. Again, respect other users. Don't be offensive.

9. POST TOPICS IN THE CORRECT LOCATIONS. Okay, so don't place a topic about dragons in a section about cars. See what I mean? I will have to admit that some topics are hard to place though...

10. BE PATIENT. Yes, there are a lot of people on these forums that are willing to help. But remember we are few...and cannot be everywhere at once.
  2. ryanvade

Users might also do well by following these set of rules on most forums also. Please remember though, not all of the rules on the bellow page apply to these forums.

Oz Unity Forum rules in Depth
    jamesnik likes this.
  3. MikeyD

MikeyD Active Member

Imho "Super Moderator" sounds like it should trump lowly "admin" ;)

Good points though. This should be a sticky in most forums here (the General info forums for sure)
    Cynthia Yildirim and ryanvade like this.
  4. ryanvade

11. PLEASE BE SPECIFIC WHEN ASKING QUESTIONS. No one can read anther persons mind. Try to be as clear as possible.
  5. ryanvade

12. POLES ARE NOT FOR ASKING QUESTIONS. Let me clarify this. Do not start a poll about whether or not THIS THING is the issue or if THAT THING is the issue. Do not start a poll about what could fix the issue either.
  6. Donut

Donut New Member

Greetins
    UE rules!
  7. ryanvade

Not an appropriate place for this comment. But yes, UE does rule.
    Cynthia Yildirim likes this.
  8. DevynCJohnson

DevynCJohnson Super Moderator Staff Member Staff Writer

Should you add something about "Post Bumping" as seen here (http://www.linux.org/threads/cannot...untu-after-installing-dual-boot-windows.5192/) on post #3?

Also, if you make another rule, do you think you should edit your original post so all of the rules are together at the top. For instance, #11 and #12 are a few posts below the original post.
    Haider92 likes this.
  9. lobo

lobo Active Member

Rules: "for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men”
    DevynCJohnson likes this.
  10. lobo

lobo Active Member

Suggestions for new "guidelines"

13. ENTERPRISE LINUX DISTRIBUTIONS. If you are running one of these, e.g. Red Hat Enterprise Linux or SUSE Enterprise Linux - please be aware that you have paid for support which you might want to consider using instead of resorting to mainstream GNU/Linux forums such as this one.

14. KALI LINUX (FORMERLY BACKTRACK). If you are new to GNU/Linux, or only a beginner, then please take the time to read this thread: http://www.linux.org/threads/backtrack-kali.5286/
    DevynCJohnson and ryanvade like this.
  11. DevynCJohnson

Would these be suitable to add as rules?

Necromancers are more than welcome (and recommended).

No thread bumping (post bumping).
    Haider92 and alug_Doc like this.
  12. DevynCJohnson

There is one very important detail we missed in writing this article - assigning penalties and actions. For example, if a regular user sees a post with cursing (or near-cursing) should they report it (http://www.linux.org/threads/how-to-enter-centos-without-username-password.3846/#post-9519)? If an admin/moderator sees a particular rule broken, should they delete that post, warn the user, ask the user to stop, ...., etc.? I think we need more standard rules. Any thoughts?
    Haider92 likes this.
  13. Cyber-Berserker

Cyber-Berserker Active Member

It is difficult to have a standard for deleting posts. Other than trolling, posts rarely have only profanity or insults. The bad things are usually accompanied by other words that contribute to the thread. Moderators removing offending language and warning the member is one thing, but deleting posts can create incongruities in threads. So deletion is something that must be considered on a case-by-case basis.
  14. ryanvade

There are only a few strict penalties that I can think of.
    1. spammers are ALWAYS banned. No exceptions, no warnings.
    2. Users who are continuously offensive are banned
    3. Cursing should be "blotched out" by staff or the user, and the user will be warned. Only one warning is to be given about offensive language.
    4. Rude members are warned, warned some more, then banned.

At least that is how I normally handle things.
  15. lobo

lobo Active Member

I would suggest a policy of lenience with regards to language and disputes between members. There is a thin line between a fuzzy and warm forum and a dead forum.

People don't want to use a forum where trolls have free reign, but at the same time they don't want to be part of a community which is highly locked down, issues penalties at the drop of a hat and has an overly pedantic approach to language.

Bad language is a fact of life. In the past I've seen forum staff who were strict on language - editing nearly every word - I've then seen these same people on other forums cursing and swearing freely... the excuse has always been "kids might be reading", but kids hear and read bad language every day. The key thing here is - swearing in context, not as part of an attack on another member, not overused, should not be an issue.

I've always found that issuing penalties is a waste of time as they tend to work negatively. For the otherwise decent member who slipped up, a penalty can be a permanent "stain" (I've seen good long term contributors leave over what was perceived as unfair staff action). Disputes, flame wars, etc are often far from simple and one person can get a warning for swearing where the real culprits get off scot free. This simply deepens divisions and resentments.

Then there are the "bad boys" who wear their warnings as a badge of honour. You really can't win. The best option is some temporary time out - e.g. 24 hours.

In my opinion permanent bands should only be for people who are posting something downright illegal and contributing nothing positive whatsoever.

Necromancy is fine, but in my opinion it should be made clear that the post needs to contribute something on topic to the thread in question.
  16. ryanvade

The excuse is not about "kids reading". The fact is some people, including myself, find this language offensive. It will be removed on sight.
    testonside likes this.
  17. lobo

lobo Active Member

Words are only offensive if I allow them to be and the most offensive and personally insulting comments can be made using the nicest words... food for thought. Context is everything, as is intent.

I can see clearly that there's not much point debating this however...
    testonside, atanere and DevynCJohnson like this.
  18. Cyber-Berserker

I do not want to start a fight with anyone, but a word of caution must be given. To begin with, I believe profanity should not be allowed on a board. There is no need for it, unless it is part of a quote that is relevant to a discussion. However, care must be taken to not take things to far. I agree with the attitude toward profanity being
    But the battle is currently not restricted to profanity, but also includes "cursing." A thread was recently edited to have the "offending cursing" removed. (bullsh*t) It is dangerous to take the idea of a clean board that far. There is unlikely to be resistance to a ban on profanity. In fact, most people will support such a stance. However, not allowing "cursing": B.S., damn, oh crap, is over-bearing enough to drive people away. That is dangerous considering recently the question was being asked how to attract more members. It will be difficult to attract new members when current members are leaving. I know of one member who already left in disgust, because of the incident I referred to.

To reiterate, I am not trying to start a fight, but only advising to tread lightly.
    testonside and DevynCJohnson like this.
  19. DevynCJohnson

The rule is also relative. What is considered a "bad word"? Some people think "pi$$" is a bad word. But then again, we do not want Linux.org to be rated 18+. We need to find that "fine-line". Should be discuss and agree on a standard? If rules were like programming, making a rule with greedy-REGEX wildcards can cause some issues.
    Haider92 likes this.
  20. Cyber-Berserker

Not really. "No profanity" is good enough. The problem is if the definition is extended to include "cursing" or "rudeness." Keeping out profanity is fine, but being over-zealous would be harmful to the board's future. For example, there is a big difference between "shit" and another four-letter word that I shall not type. Further; if "bull-shit" is considered profanity or cursing, what about "B.S" or "bovine excrement"? Same meaning, but different words.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.