bad sectors on disk

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by emekadavid, Jul 20, 2012.

1. emekadavid

emekadavid Member Staff Writer

how do you repair a disk that is reported to have many bad sectors and fsck reports that the filesystem is mounted.

2. WeAreGeek

WeAreGeek Member

You could use the badblocks command to create a list of bad blocks.
    Then you can format the disk with mkfs or mke2fs (with the -l option you can provide a bad blocks list that won't be used in the filesystem).
    This is just a temporary solution though. When there are bad sectors, more will follow.
  3. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Member

Not necessarily. I have some bad sectors on my hard drive. What I did was to make a partition on the part which has the bad sectors. Then I just do not use that particular partition. It's been two years now. The rest of the hard drive is still working well, 12-16 hours every day, seven days a week.
  4. emekadavid

5. enhu

enhu New Member

I have a hard drive that I actually throw away because of bad sector years ago. I never bother to partition, How do you know which partition has bad sector?
  6. emekadavid

i ran badblocks command with the "-o file" command and the hard disk came out clean. i ran it as /dev/sda i.e the whole disk not minding partitions. wondering why blag says the disk is sick?
  7. pane-free

pane-free Active Member

emekadavid likes this.
  8. emekadavid

will run fsck right now
  9. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Member

Well, half of it was guesswork and half of it was from my experience with literally thousands of hard drives.

I first noticed that my hard drive was failing when my Windows installation became unstable. Sometimes it boots up. At other times, it just died. Finally it died totally. I couldn't even re-install it.

That was when I tried marking off the first part of the hard drive. I started by marking off only 10Mb. Didn't work. So now I have marked off 100Mb. Just left that partition totally unallocated. I did that a couple of years back. My hard drive is still working up to today.

It's good that my Windows died. Otherwise I wouldn't have found Linux. Now Linux is my main os. I have Windows 8 only to play World of Warcraft.
  10. kumar91

kumar91 New Member

Greetings!!!!
    I'm having same problem in my HDD...same as u unable to reinstall windows in it.
    I also installed ubuntu in logical drive and left primary partition to install windows in it...to make it start again...but it couldn't help.

i ran Ubuntu live CD...and disk utility is showing smart status as "DISK FAILURE IS IMMINENT" also showing 2047 badsectors. Screenshot-320 GB Hard Disk (ATA TOSHIBA MK3265GSX) [-dev-sda] — Disk Utility.png smart data.png

tried also with $ sudo badblocks -v /dev/sda (by making my all HDD unallocated) it took 135 hrs and still continued so i made it stop. terminal.png

currently trying to format my HDD as ext2 bcoz somebody gave me this link

but i want ur help to make my HDD again reusable....bcoz its all started same as u mentioned,...and as u made it..so plz...looking for ur suggestion