Linux on 5% of PC sales

K

KenJackson

An exec at Ubuntu says 5% of PCs shipping world-wide would be with Ubuntu Linux.

That's well below the 50% we all hoped for, but it's progress, I think.

It's a shame it's so hard to get accurate statistics on how many people immediately wipe Windows and install Linux after purchase, or buy and assemble components and install Linux instead of buying an assembled unit. (I've done the latter numerous times. It's more expensive, but I get to pick the components I want.)

I just placed this up in the Linux News section - I have to say the idea is a smart one. One day soon there will be much more being shipped out by manufacturers. They have to keep up you see.

Dell netbooks have the option of shipping with Ubuntu. I think if "build your own" PC sites like Dell, and Lenovo offered Ubuntu (or equivalent) on the machines, it would really take off. My sister staved around $75 for taking an Ubuntu machine over a Windows one, and she has loved it.

Dell netbooks have the option of shipping with Ubuntu.
I bought my one-and-only laptop from Dell a few years back with Ubuntu installed (though I immediately wiped Ubuntu and installed Fedora). It's great. No problems.

But there are problems with Dell:
  • You have to know they sell PCs with Linux and specifically search for them. You have to really want it bad enough to be persistent.
  • They don't offer Linux as an option with every PC. The choices are very limited.

I'm assuming most of this 5% must be sales outside the U.S., where the Microsoft Police don't have investigative branches.

And that's just ubuntu, there are other distros too. Still, the number seems hard to believe

Most people prefer windows because its basic and simple to use.!

Is not!

Most people don't have a preference because they don't know there's a choice. Microsoft has used unfair business practices to make sure that the only people who have a choice are those with enough savvy and skill to install an alternate OS themselves.

Even though i do use Linux i cant stand remembering all the commands and hate searching them up.

Perhaps you are confusing the user interface with the OS. Both Windows and Linux have a command line. But whereas Windows' default CMD shell is the least powerful and most awkward shell on earth, Linux's default bash shell is arguably the most helpful and powerful on earth.

Similarly, both OSes have a graphical user interface (GUI) which allow both new users and skillful users to do everything with a mouse, if they prefer. Though Linux has many more choices of style and speed vs bells and whistles than Windows does.

Good grief! Why am I defending Linux on a Linux forum?

That's quite a low percentage, but 5% is better than nothing. Hopefully that number will continue to grow over the next couple of years. I'd love to see more computes shipped with Linux, it would save a lot of people the hassle (as simple as it is) of installing your choice operating system yourself.

That's some good progress, I wish it was higher though ad least thought it would be. Linux are old but every useful for websites and control.

That is progress. Not many people know about Linux or even how to use it. Most people in this world only focus on Windows or Mac. But now that at least 5% of computers that are being shipped out are coming with Ubuntu that really shows more people becoming interested in Linux.

If the SOPA & PIPA laws ever passes the american senate, the linux will be installed on like 90% of all pc's . Linux is the best OS after Windows. Some people consider it even better...

If the SOPA & PIPA laws ever passes the american senate, the linux will be installed on like 90% of all pc's.
I don't follow. How would SOPA or PIPA help Linux?

Linux is the best OS after Windows. Some people consider it even better...
After Windows?
Some people?
What about you? Do you actually find using Windows preferable to using Linux?

I don't follow. How would SOPA or PIPA help Linux?

After Windows?
Some people?
What about you? Do you actually find using Windows preferable to using Linux?

Answer to post #1: Here in where I live most of the people use cracked version of Windows OS,while almost nobody uses Linux,and the people see it as an alternative in case some sort of law comes and forbids them from using cracked versions of Windows OS.

Answer to post #2: Well ,when it comes to gaming,yes I find it more preferable ! :)

I think there are a couple of points that everyone is missing.

1. Being preinstalled on 5% of the worlds desktop computers means that, with all of the people who buy Windows computers and later dual boot or replace Win with Linux, that numbers gets closer to 10%. And, if you count all of the servers, you will soon probably be able to say that Linux is on 60% or more of the worlds computers.

2. Is this really what we want? Do we want to have the majority of the market share of computers? People often say, "This is the year for Linux!". But I have been using Linux for quite a while and I do not do it because it is a trend. Imagine how screwed up things would be if Linux became the dominant contender. I would probably move over to Windows if this happened so I would not have to worry about viruses anymore. Plus, it is kind of nice to use an operating system that very few people have even heard about.

I agree wholeheartedly! The only reason I'm glued to my Mac is because of the speed and lack of viruses. I switched my windows PC over to Linux for the same reason. I'm very new to Linux and don't know all the ropes just yet so I do kind of prefer windows over it at the moment, but I do think once I learn I'll love it :) thank god there's a lot of helpful people on here. I find google isn't really much help.

I'm very new to Linux and don't know all the ropes just yet so I do kind of prefer windows over it at the moment, but I do think once I learn I'll love

You can make Linux look almost identical to Mac, if that is what you want.

Really??? How??? That would be ideal for me if it's possible.

Once again Bill you've saved the day :D I took a look at the Zorin on my friends computer and I have to say I like it :) Im not really concerned with it looking authentic...as long as I can make my way around I'm happy :)

Members online