Again-NOTHING'S WORKING-Kali Linux

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Lizzy, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Lizzy

Lizzy New Member

I'm having the problem/problems again. I'm trying to use Kali Linux this time. I downloaded Kali Linux 1.0.5 amd64, and I am using a USB Drive with 976 MB of space. I used Win32DiskImager, and when I use that I boot it up and I get that SYSLINUX error, and I read that if you changed the name of the files on the usb it would be fixed, but there are no files or folders on the usb. I used LinuxLive as well, but then I got a grub command prompt terminal thing, and I had NO clue what to do. I am having an extreme amount of trouble, and I've been dealing with this problem with other distros for months. I have watched YouTube videos, looked on forums, and nothing is working. Please help me.

DevynCJohnson likes this.
  2. alug_Doc

alug_Doc Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  3. Lizzy

Lizzy New Member

Well UNetbootin doesn't have an option for Kali Linux. I worked out and installed Ubuntu and BackTrack on virtual machine, and even though it didn't work for Kali, I think I know the problem and will try again, so I will just use VirtualMachine for the time being.
  4. lin.and.phi

lin.and.phi New Member

But it gives you the option to choose a previously downloaded .iso file (just select "Image" instead of "Distribution"). Personally, I use UNetbootin as well, so I recommend it to you.
    alug_Doc likes this.
  5. Lizzy

Lizzy New Member

Okay, thanks. I'll try that. I also realized that at least with VirtualBox, I have to use 32 bit ISOs, even though I have a 64 bit system. I will try using the 32-bit with UNetbootin.
  6. Videodrome

Videodrome Active Member

In order for me to get anything to work right adding Kali Linux to a USB, I usually follow the directions using the Linux "dd" command.

http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install

Please be very careful using the dd command. "of=" must point to the USB device which is usually /dev/sdb unless you have other external storage plugged in. If of= is pointed at the wrong device it will be wiped out.

if= must point to the source ISO file.

I think bs= is the memory blocks. I don't fully understand that, but I just follow Kali's recommended bs=512k.

I never do this in Windows so I'm unfamiliar with Win32Imager. It does seem like it might be limited to the 32 bit ISO though?
  7. Lizzy

Lizzy New Member

I may have noticed something that I have done wrong. I am now trying it with BackTrack 5 R1 Gnome 32-Bit. I always did the selection correctly and I would then browse for the .iso I dowloaded in the image option. I didn't know that those were two separate options. As I'm typing this I'm installing it on the flash drive without doing the browsing thing and I will see if it works.