Advantages of Using Linux

Discussion in 'Linux News' started by Fred, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Fred

Fred New Member

I am Linux person in heart, and by no doubt support Linux.That's why let me talk about my Advantages of Using Linux.

More...
  2. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius New Member

These are all great advantages, but one of the main problems people mention is the fact that it's hard or impossible to get Windows programs running in Linux. Because of that, a lot of people dump Linux and go back to Windows.
  3. enhu

enhu New Member

There are always alternative programs for every windows programs. It might not be that great such as CAD programs but there are more high end and number crunching programs in linux than in windows. The only great about them is that they can install popular games.

some people that go back to windows usually don't know file system.
  4. lucasbytegenius

There aren't in my case. There's no alternative to TF2, Portal 2, or any of the Valve games, and it's damn hard to get them running right with Wine and PlayOnLinux.
    And what do you mean by people who go back to Windows don't know the filesystem? The filesystem is very similar.
  5. enhu

enhu New Member

Its a game. of course you knew linux isn't mostly for games.
  6. lucasbytegenius

Neither is Windows. The point is that there isn't an alternative to every program, like you said in your post.
  7. enhu

enhu New Member

lol why are you looking for alternative in that game in linux when it doesn't even work in windows
  8. lucasbytegenius

TF2 works fine in Windows. And I wasn't looking for an alternative as there are none, I was simply trying to get it working.
  9. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Member

The main reason I migrated from Windows to Linux was because I got fed-up of having to re-install my os every once in a few months due to virus infection. Since I migrated to Linux, I have yet to see any viruses. That is one of the advantages of using Linux. Not the only one but one of the most important, for me.
  10. Remp

Remp New Member

I think linux is for programmers, and for work. If you wanna play games, buy a gaming PC and use it only for gaming, or just set up dual boot, just like me, and play your favorite games when you need a break from work :) For instance, I really like that Google lets workers choose between whether they wanna work with Linux or Macintosh.
  11. kreso93

kreso93 New Member

I find Linux a great substitute for Windows, because it's free and a lot of the stuff are automated, unlike on Windows where you have to manually install every single thing (like drivers, programs etc.).

But I find it frustrating when I can't play some of my favorite games, that are made Windows only, and that makes me go back to Windows every time.
  12. Remp

Remp New Member

As I just said in my previous post, try Dual Booting! It's really easy to set up with GRUB, and this way you can enjoy Linux and play your favorite games too :)
    Here is a decent guide on Dual Booting Ubuntu and Windows : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
  13. lucasbytegenius

I actually used to use Linux for web browsing and some website work. It was fast and it fit my needs for that.
    But eventually I got sick of dual booting Windows and I don't use Linux that often anymore.
    However, once I get a faster computer I think dual-booting won't be a problem for me.