Adobe Releases Last Linux Version Of Flash Player

Discussion in 'Linux News' started by News, Mar 31, 2012.

1. News

News LF News Poster

Adobe has released Flash Player version 11.2 with many new features. This is last and final Flash Player release for Linux platform and now onward there will be only security and bug fix updates. Last month Adobe announced that it is withdrawing Flash Player support for Linux platform. All the future newer Flash releases will be bundled with Google Chrome using its Pepper API and for everything else, 11.2 will be the last release.

More...
  2. timothywcrane

timothywcrane New Member

It seems like more and more companies that showed promise in the past are removing their Linux support for their products. It seems to have come full circle. At first almost no companies had any type of Linux support, and then all of a sudden it was the cool thing to do, and now, they all seem to be pulling out. too bad. Chrome seems to be the last holdout, and I think it has to do more with Android compatability than it does general Linux usage. I often use Opera, and the new Adobe wirks intermittently at best, so I am using FF and Chrome almost exclusively except for email and feeds. I hate it when I am forced to use a less than favorite product for simple activities such as watching videos on Youtube, but then again, I still find myself booting up Virtualbox and and alternate OS on a daily basis for the same reason.
  3. KenJackson

KenJackson Active Member

Are you talking about Linux or Flash?

I think HTML5 is being adopted as an answer to Flash, which is widely disliked by more than Linux users. In fact, didn't I read that Adobe itself is shifting focus from Flash to HTML5?

In my view, Linux just keeps getting more solid. Plus, for better or for worse, the continued push toward the cloud, dependence on browsers and open standards for on-line content obviate the need for a lot of platform-specific code anyway.
  4. KenJackson

KenJackson Active Member

I have Arch Linux with NO ADOBE software installed on my downstairs computer, on which I watch YouTube videos with no problem. I'm currently using GNU Gnash instead of the Adobe flash plugin. Although it won't play some other non-YouTube Flash videos

I've also been curious about Lightspark.