1. IMPORTANT - 11/13/2015: In light of a possible breach we have scrubbed all passwords. You will need to request a password reset through the site. Click here for more information.

About commands for linux executable files

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by icyfight, Oct 18, 2012.

1. icyfight

icyfight New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    I have seen commands like this: (hello is the executable file or maybe script file)
    So, anyone could tell me the differences among these commands?

2. garymetcalf

garymetcalf New Member

Oct 22, 2012
    At a konsol or command line if you enter "ls -l" it will list the long listing of the files in the current dir. On the left side of the list it shows if the file is
    r (read) w (writeable) and x (executable) A file will not run if it's not set with x. Actually there is a way around that but lets keep is simple here.
    As far as the difference of: ./hello and hello the ./hello means to run the file in the current dir. hello is a file in the current dir but without :: in the path statement it won't execute without a path to it such as ./hello.

Now .hello means it won't show up in the listing without using the -a option. (it's hidden)

In my .bash_profile as the first line I set my current dir by
    PATH="::$PATH" and that enables hello to run without a path to it. That makes your current dir a part of the path.