A question?

Discussion in 'Desktop / X' started by David Wilson, Nov 15, 2011.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson New Member

I am running ubuntu 11.10 kind of don't like it i would like to give mint11 a good try and or add it to the list of login options that i already have. I have made a live boot and played with it a bit . What i do not want to have to do if i dont have to is reinstall all the apps i have now is there a way to do all of this ?
    thanks Dave

2. Rob

Rob Administrator Staff Member

Do you have some hard drive space that you can use for mint or did you use it all up w/ ubuntu?

I imagine you could plug in a large usb stick and install it to that :)
  3. enhu

enhu New Member

The question has come into my mind before I tried another distro but I believe I can't do it :D
    I just have to start from scratch and download everything back.

I'm not sure though but If anyone can do that then he probably have really tons of skills and i mean each apps has files in /usr /bin and everywhere,not to mention its dependencies...
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson New Member

I had friend tell me do the install. it did say that it would import for lack of a better way of putting it all my stuff how ever it did not or i did not understand what it was saying it would do either way i now have mint and i am having to start all over again... oh well it's not that bad but the install did say some thing to the effect of that it would do this
  5. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Member

I have tested out Linux Mint using a usb drive before I installed it into the hard disk. You should try that. It gives you a chance to try things out become you commit yourself.
  6. Smokey

Smokey New Member

I think this is probably the best idea. Always try before you buy. Make a live USB stick with Mint on it and give it a try before installing it onto your hard drive.
  7. Akendo

Akendo New Member

You can port your installed packages via a file to the new mint:
    Code:
    dpkg --get-selections |awk '{print $1}' > dpkg_installed.log
    This can work for a basic setup, when you don't have any extra PPA.

To restore this list try using this:
    Code:
    for x in `cat dpkg_installed.log `; do apt-get install $x;done
    This maybe a little inefficient, but it does the Job.

so far
    mfg 4k3nd0

PS: You should make sure that you don't delete your /home folder. I always recommend for purpose like this to put your /home on a extra Partition. So your able to use your settings always distribution independent.