13 surprises from Kubuntu 12.04

Discussion in 'Linux News' started by Darwin, May 9, 2012.

1. Darwin

Darwin New Member

Some things you may have failed to realize about Kubuntu 12.04

Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin was released on the same day as Ubuntu 12.04 and Xubuntu 12.04. I have written about these systems already. Let’s talk about Kubuntu today.

The ISO image size of Kubuntu 12.04 is just a little bit smaller than Ubuntu 12.04. It is 698 Mb. It is available to download either directly from one of many mirrors, or from the torrent. My personal copy of the image was taken from the torrent.

I used Unetbootin to "burn" the image onto the 8 Gb USB stick.

During the Unetbootin process, I activated persistence to check how it works in Kubuntu. I can approximate that it would work the same way in other systems of 12.04 release.

USB stick is ready and plugged into the port of my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pi 1505 laptop. Reboot. Choose to boot from USB. Let's go! Read here: http://linuxblog.darkduck.com/2012/05/13-surprises-from-kubuntu-1204.html
  2. Famous

Famous New Member

If you look at the installed tab of the software center, you can uninstall them one by one. Its painful, but faster than looking up the exact name to type it all out in a terminal :(
  3. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Member

The last time I tried Ubuntu 12 on my old laptop I could only get it to work by disabling acpi and apic from the boot up command line. Does anyone know why this is necessary? I would love to try out the latest distros if I can get them to work on my old machine. So far I have only been able to get Ubuntu 10.04 to run successfully without any tweaking.